Blogging for Charity, Bitches!

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Thursday, July 20, 2006

Reporting From Glendale, California.

Staring at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 29, 2006, I will be posting a blog entry every half hour for 24 hours straight. Considering it takes about a half hour for me to write most of my entries, I'll be blogging practically nonstop! That's right—I'm participating in Blogathon 2006, an international event in which hundreds will be blogging all in the name of charity.

This will be amazing for several reasons. First of all, I haven't been conscious at 6 a.m. since the 1970s. Secondly, I haven't been up for 24 hours straight since that year I thought the world was going to end. Thirdly, I don't drink coffee, so the only way I'll be able to stay up is smacking myself in the face constantly. Fourth, I have no theme, so my blogs will be random ramblings from a madman; anything goes, and I'm not writing entries ahead of time or even thinking about it; look out for the entries in the 12th hour and beyond because they're sure to get increasingly bizarre as the day/night progresses.

I am raising money for an incredible organization called Bread for the Journey, and I need sponsors! Neither I nor the Blogathon people handle the money. All you have to do is pledge a certain amount (you can sponsor me by the hour or in a lump sum), and, when the event is over, you'll be reminded to go to the Bread for the Journey site yourself and make an online donation in the amount that you pledged. This comes, of course, after you have witnessed my crazy 24 hours of blogging. The Blogathon people even have monitors who periodically check to make sure that participating bloggers are keeping up their end of the bargain.

What is Bread for the Journey? It's a nonprofit organization that disseminates grants to individuals and small organizations around the country who wish to make a difference in their communities. The modest grants support projects of all kinds, meant to show that small acts make a big difference. For example:

* In Georgia, Bread for the Journey provided a grant of $1,000 to group called Aid to Children of Imprisoned Mothers that enabled 25 children to visit their mothers in prison during the holidays.

* In Hawaii, Bread for the Journey provided a grant of $2,000 to a community garden project housed near a cluster of low-income homes to help re-educate the residents in the practice of growing, harvesting, preparing, and eating vegetables and herbs.

* In North Carolina, Bread for the Journey provided a grant of $1,200 to support Interfaith Coalition: Building Blocks for Wilmington, a group of men and women working to develop new initiatives to lower crime rates in their neighborhoods.

* In New Mexico, Bread for the Journey provided a grant of $1,000 to support Arts to Boost Curriculum, which provides art supplies and instruction that boost cognitive skills in children from low-income families.

...And the list goes on and on. And the diversity of projects that Bread for the Journey supports is staggering.

Sponsor me, sponsor me, sponsor me now! Thank you in advance for your kindness. I've been keeping you entertained with my blog for over three years, and I promise that on Blogathon day I will post some of the most riveting entries ever. Even if you cannot at this time make a donation, visit my blog on July 29 and watch the insanity unfold in half hour increments!

(And if you know people who might be interested in sponsoring my efforts, click on the envelope link below to forward them this information. Thanks.)
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

0 Comments



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date