Shucking Pomegranates in the 21st Century

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Pomegranate juice is so damn good that it's like drinking the blood of a virgin. I suppose that's why it costs a whopping $3.99 per bottle.

The other day I saw huge-ass pomegranates in the fruit section at Ralph's, and I was inspired to make my own juice.

And here is what I learned:

Do you know how motherfucking long it takes to shuck a pomegranate?! I swear, I spent a half hour peeling, loosening, and juicing one pomegranate, which yielded about 3/4 of a cup of liquid.

$3.99: such a small price to pay.

—Reporting From Glendale, California
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Marisela Said,

    It also stains like crazy. Imagine virgin blood on your hands that won't wash off.

    Good to see your site up and running again. I'm coming to see Jukebox Stories soon.


  2. Loren goes crazy anytime I shuck pomegranates, for fear that I will stain kitchen appliances.

    You really have to eat pomegranates naked to keep your clothes clean.


  3. Nicole Said,

    Its easier to schuck the pomegranete in a bowl full of water & under the water so seeds don't fly everywhere..then it won't be so freaking


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date