Fourteen-Oh-What?

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Monday, June 25, 2007
Even the teenagers on IMDB can't adequately decode the last act of 1408, even though it is their trade. But it's hard to fault a horror movie for choosing atmosphere and creepiness over gore and cheap thrills. And, besides, when John Cusack opens up that refrigerator and Samuel L. Jackson's in it? That's some damn fine filmmaking.

Also, the flick does boast one of the funniest lines I've heard in a while. In a reportedly haunted hotel room, Cusack starts to pull out some fancy equipment in order to debunk the paranormal claims and declares to himself, "Let's Encyclopedia Brown this bitch!"

—Reporting From Glendale, California
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

3 Comments

  1. Marisela Said,

    Oh my Gosh, I almost split my side. I'm going to make a concerted effort to say, "Let's Encyclopedia Brown this bitch."

    Wonder how I could use this around the office...

     

  2. Quin Said,

    i'm looking forward to this one, even at nyc film prices...

    i'll wear one of the cute new babydoll tops (like the ones i wore as a kid) and slide my box of jujufruits in the waistband of my jeans to save money that way.

     

  3. "Let's Encyclopedia Brown this bitch" is so fun to say! I've been using it any context--it doesn't matter.

    1408 is good, not great, just know that going in. I shove cokes in my underwear all the time before going in. (I'm serious.)

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date