The Origin of My Species

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, June 12, 2007
[CLICK PIC FOR LARGER VIEW]

...Mrs. Wade (on the right, I believe) could not pronounce my Thai name, Khamolpat, nor my Thai nickname, Bin. So she decided Prince should be my name, and it has been ever since.

[CLICK PIC FOR LARGER VIEW]

...And one grade later, I would instead find comfort and acceptance in the company of black people.

—Reporting From Glendale, California
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

9 Comments

  1. LOVE those quality grade-school class pics! love the outfits. love the goofy looks on the kids' faces. love the same-ness from a school in indy to any other school in the country.

     

  2. Anonymous Said,

    my god you were fat.

     

  3. John, aren't those clothes amazing?! How did we all get away with it?!

    Anonymous, I was not fat! I was wearing a puffy jacket! (Which, apparently, I never took off.)

     

  4. One thing I just noticed: Why did they always shove the token Asian in the front left position? It was like, "Hey, look! We have Asians! Look!"

     

  5. Marisela Said,

    oh, Prince you were très cute!!! And you weren't fat. Like Porkchop you were just big boned...for a small child.

     

  6. When I was a kid, I loved me some bacon!

     


  7. Anonymous Said,

    Fat left-corner-sitting token.

     

  8. And proud of it. Represent!

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date