Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Saturday, July 28, 2007
My favorite parts of the The Simpsons Movie are things you would never see on the TV show, and they actually made me gasp like a prude because they were so unexpected. They involve a body part, an illegal substance, a swear word, and the single funniest and most irreverent thing Ralph Wiggum has ever said, and I laugh thinking back on them now.

It doesn't seem as if the makers of The Simpsons Movie aimed for this to be a definitive work in the Simpsons oeuvre—it just feels like a very good, very funny episode of the TV series that just happens to be three times the length of a regular show. You may say they're setting their sights low, but, when you sit back and think about it a bit, very good and very funny for a sitcom that's been on the air for 18 years and broadcast more than 400 episodes is a pretty damn impressive achievement.

Perhaps I was in good spirits because I wasn't unfortunate enough to have to stand behind the counter at the Hawaiian barbecue place like the young stoned dude who took my order and wandered around with bags of to-go boxes in a pot daze. At least I think he was stoned. If not, he was kind of dumb. (Which, in retrospect, seems better because that's how I prefer them. Young and dumb. Sexy!)
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date