Filipino Inmates Dance to "Thriller"

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Thursday, July 26, 2007
Thanks to Angry Asian Man for directing our attention to 1,500 prisoners at Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center in the Philippines, where a camera caught the hardened criminals practicing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance with remarkable accuracy and without a trace of irony. You've got to see this to believe it:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

5 Comments

  1. Peter Varvel Said,

    This was being passed around our inter-office email last week.
    Call me a profiler, but when I saw all of the dark hair, at first I thought they were all African American. It gets worse: as soon as I saw the military-perfect lines in the background, it immediately clicked that they must be Asian.
    I'm going to hell, huh?
    See you there, Prince of Twilight Darkness.

     

  2. thelastnoel Said,

    In the prisons in Thailand, they just smoke crack and get fat.

     

  3. I have never seen a fat Thai person. The Filipinos on the other hand--man, those people can EAT!

     

  4. Isabel E Said,

    I was alerted to this phenomenon rather late in the game, and still haven't wrapped my head completely around it.
    ...hence being up in the middle of the night randomly searching blogs to see what other people think.
    I still don't know... there's definitely something strange and wonderful about these videos. But I'm worried that they make Philippine prisons look more like a bizarre musical with cheap costumes and an underpaid cast, and less like the pits of hell they actually are.
    One thing's for sure: the next time I try to raise the issue of arbitrary detention in the Philippines, I expect a barrage of jokes about dance routines.

     

  5. "they make Philippine prisons look more like a bizarre musical with cheap costumes and an underpaid cast"

    ...That's because they are! Just ask Noel Alumit (above).

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date