I Now Pronounce You Idiotic

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Saturday, July 14, 2007
How many different groups of people can you offend in just 2 minutes and 30 seconds? This trailer for the movie I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry does its best to ridicule, rather stupidly, entire races! Entire genders! Entire social identities!



Oh, I can hear the masses cry now, "Oh, Prince, don't criticize the movie until you've actual seen it." To tell you the truth, I have never found that to be an adequate argument for any issue on any side. That's just how people try to guilt you into seeing their work or reading their book in order to make their wallets fatter with your money. It's a trick, you see. "You can't disagree with me until you buy my book!" Uh, yes, I can disagree and simultaneously save myself 15 bucks.

For example, even if George W. Bush knew he was a lying fucking idiot, why would he ever sit through Fahrenheit 9/11? Why would he subject himself to two hours of a personal attack? I think he has every right to criticize the film without seeing it.

Look, if you know me, you know that I hate knee-jerk reactions to racial and social issues more than anyone, but I guess what I am most offended by is that this film looks horribly unfunny. If I wanted that, I could stab myself with a pitchfork. At least the pain only lasts a few minutes.

The guys on South Park rail against everyone, but their humor is sharp and biting and the have a fierce point of view, even though I don't always agree with it. Chuck & Larry seems lifeless, uninspired, and like a desperate failed attempt at relevance and edginess—and that hurts more than anything else.

Anybody who has seen the movie, prove me wrong, and I will gladly stand corrected.

—Reporting From Glendale, California
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

2 Comments

  1. Quin Said,

    oh, nice bridge in the background.

    best i can say about the film from what i'm reading and hearing...

     

  2. Okay, same old gay jokes. Same old shit, not much different.

    I bet this movie will appeal with people existing on half a brain...or less.

    Oh hey Price, I link your blog to mine. Hope you dont mind.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date