I Read the Last Page of Harry Potter 7 (No Spoilers)

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, July 24, 2007
On Friday afternoon, I was wandering around my neighborhood, as I am wont to do, and I made my way over to the Barnes and Noble to discover a madhouse. People were running around in wizard costumes and Harry Potter scarves, lining up to get a wristband that would later allow them to line up and buy the the seventh and final book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I don't read novels, even when my novelist friends pile heaps of guilt onto me, so I am not a part of the special club to which all Harry Potter fans must feel they belong.

But I have to admit that being inside that store, watching all those people of all different ages wait around in great anticipation for a piece of literature, was kind of exciting. I put myself in the mindset of a child who had read all the books and had been looking forward to the last one for a very long time—and, finally, the day had come. I got a little bit emotional.

Yesterday, I was at Borders Books and read the last page of Deathly Hallows. I had already read all the spoilers online, but I wanted to get a sense of the writing and the closure fans must feel when they finish. The last page is rather moving and unexpectedly layered in ways that make you simultaneously happy and sad. I'm glad I took all that time to read one page of the Harry Potter series. For me, that's quite a commitment.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

5 Comments

  1. Jeff Said,

    I've always been perplexed by your inability to read novels, and claims that you can't recall the last time it occurred. But, would you have had to read "Mysterious Skin" to write a play based on it? Hard to piece together a play based on Amazon comments unlike, say, a Noel Alumit interview. What's the story?

     

  2. diana Said,

    Last page, like last page of the epilogue, or last page like last page of the last real chapter?

     

  3. Jeff, the last novel I remember finishing was indeed "Mysterious Skin," which is one of the best books I have ever read. Scott Heim basically ruined me. That is not to say that I do not read, period. Between 1996 (the time of the "Skin" paperback) and now, I have read a considerable amount of nonfiction. Typically, with nonfiction, it does not require the perceptual continuity that I feel readers of novels have to commit to. I can come back to a nonfiction book that I've been reading and usually don't have to dig through my memory to remember characters, plotlines, and details that make the cumulative effect of a novel so gratifying.

    Diana, last page of the epilogue. Brilliant!

     

  4. Caitlin Said,

    So, you are the second person (besides myself) who has never been interested in reading Harry Potter. Derek has recently forced me, however. I'm on the second one. It's okay. Nothing to write home about, but something to do while you're mind is wandering. Kthnxbye.

     

  5. Caitlin, you sound so indifferent to the Harry Potter books. Don't proclaim that out loud. The wizards will try to kill you.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date