Hello Kitty, Goodbye Dignity

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Leave it to my Thai brethren to invent a punishment so painful and humiliating that human rights organizations really should look into this. In an effort to deter policemen from breaking the rules (such as littering or coming in late for work), their Thai superiors will punish their errant behavior by forcing them to wear hot pink armbands with Hello Kitty brandished on them like a scarlet letter.

Police Col. Pongpat Chayaphan explains why the punishment is so so effective: "[Hello] Kitty is a cute icon for young girls. It's not something macho police officers want covering their biceps."

For Chayaphan, I have one question: "Are you sure about that?"
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

7 Comments

  1. Enrique Said,

    Hello Kitty is hot as hell. Why else would they have made a vibrator out of it? Hello kitty indeed. So I don't know what he's talking about.

    In related news, there's a Thai restaurant in Decatur, GA called Thai Me Up. Your people are so creative.

     

  2. Oh Christ there are so many Thai Me Ups it makes me sick. Sick I tell you!

     

  3. Quin Said,

    but, hello kitty sick?

     

  4. thelastnoel Said,

    I read about Hello Kitty in Thailand. No worse than dancing inmates. Oh, I wanted to start support group at work for Thai speaking people. I wanted to call it "Thai's that bind." It didn't go over so well.

     

  5. Man, you Filipinos are quick the bad puns.

     

  6. Cheryl Said,

    My Vietnamese music junkie friend wanted to open a restaurant called the Pho Vietnamenon (as in the Funk Phenomenon, get it?).

     

  7. And the bad puns keep on comin'.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date