Jeff Greenwald Is Just Asking to Be Identity Thieved

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, August 21, 2007
When travel writer Jeff Greenwald came to see me in JUKEBOX STORIES last year in Berkeley, he felt such a connection to my performance that he wanted me to keep in touch. Out of business cards, he handed me a deposit slip that he had torn out of his checkbook and added a "dot com" after his name so that I would be able to track him down later.

What man in his right mind hands a complete stranger—an inscrutable Asian, no less!—a piece of paper with his bank's routing number and account number on it? Jeff Greenwald is just asking to be identity thieved. If I were some computer hacker genius (instead of just a mere Renaissance genius), I would have depleted his account just to teach him a lesson and spent all that money on art supplies for my Zac Efron collage.

Anyway, since my many novelist friends guilt me about not reading their novels (I'm working on it!), I was relieved that Jeff wrote nonfiction. I started reading Scratching the Surface, a book of travel essays, and what I've read so far has been stellar (I'm working on it!).

Aside from being an acclaimed travel writer, Jeff also performs storytelling shows that people love and that sell out regularly. In Strange Travel Suggestions, audience members spin a wheel that determines what stories Jeff will tell that evening (ah, a man after my own creative heart), and the show is coming to Steinway Hall in Los Angeles this Sunday, August 26, 2007, at 7:30PM. I'm going to go, and, if you know what's good for you, you'll go to.

I'm sure the $25 ticket price is well worth it, but, if you're a cheap bastard like me, you'll head over to Goldstar Events and get them for half price.

For those of you not in L.A., head over to Jeff's website where you can access a bunch of his very engaging work. And finish all his books before I do and tell me all about them, so that I can trick him into thinking that I've read all of his work. That way we can be BFFs. I need more of those to cancel out all my new enemies.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

0 Comments



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date