Unsung Movies: Queer Flicks (Part 1 of 5)

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Friday, August 31, 2007
Someone asked me to compile a list of great films that are at least a little bit queer, and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to meet that challenge. I made such a concerted effort because most of my friends are bitches and bemoan the sad state of gay cinema and I wanted to prove to them that there at least a handful of films really worth watching. I ended up with a list of about 20 movies that I highly recommend. They may have gay-ish themes, but they also have broad appeal. Here, then, are the first four movies from that alphabetical list:

Beautiful Boxer (2004) is based on the true story of a Thai kickboxer who keeps competing in order to pay for his sex change operation. Yes, I said "true"! It's funny and tender, and the way the ending elevates the narrative to the level of grand metaphor is really breathtaking. I saw this movie a few years ago at a Thai film festival at UCLA and, blown away by it, prayed for its theatrical release. It found distribution, had a theatrical run, and is now available on DVD. Check out the trailer:

Beautiful Thing (1996) is a sweet film about young love. Two high school boys in England come out, much to the dismay of their entire neighborhood. Because of everyone's thick accents, I can't understand half of what they're saying, but archetypal stories such as this (albeit with a queer twist) break through language/dialect barriers. And, alas, it's a movie that chooses triumph over tragedy, and that's the way I like it. It's based on Jonathan Harvey's play, which is also terrific:

Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss (1998) stars a pre-Will & Grace Sean Hayes as a photographer and daydreamer with a huge crush on the sexually ambiguous and scorching hot Brad Rowe. Though much more restrained in this movie than he is on TV, Hayes is still very very funny. The Petula Clark songs set to fantasy sequences are a bonus. In my younger years, I held this movie in such high esteem because I thought that the Sean Hayes character was acting out my life:

Camp (2003) is sort of an indie (and much better) version of High School Musical. Set in a summer drama camp, the teens are funny, real, and sing up a storm. Theater geeks, straight and gay, can rejoice. Here's a movie just for you:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Hey hey, is '300' going to be on your list? Please say it will.


  2. 300 is too gay to be on the list.


  3. golfwidow Said,

    What did you think of Heavenly Creatures? It isn't any less gay for being gay the other way. And it was Peter Jackson before Peter Jackson was cool.


  4. Ah, Heavenly Creatures is fantastic! I used to recommend that film to everybody...so it will definitely have to show up on the list. It's probably my favorite lesbitarian movie.


  5. Quin Said,

    i love camp. and i agree with the heavenly creatures thumbs up...


  6. Isaac Said,

    I LOVE you! Thanks! Hugs for you.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date