B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Saturday, September 08, 2007
I resisted listening to Prince, the musician, for a long time because of the negative associations I placed on him due to the fact that people have always insisted on using him as a reference point when they mock my name. I don't mind the mocking, really, except that everybody thinks they're doing it for the first time and that I don't hear that every time I meet someone new.

But my resolve has slowly dissolved over the years, and I find myself currently spinning Prince's new album, Planet Earth, which bounces from genre to genre and features a few great tunes. (Download "Resolution" and "All the Midnights in the World.")

Anyway, there's a song on there called "Future Baby Mama," which I'm not particularly fond of but it does remind me of a song that Fantasia sang a few years ago that was one of the most simultaneously catchy and unintentionally funny songs I had heard in a long, long time. It's called "Baby Mama," a song of maternal empowerment so earnest that it took me a good while to figure out that it isn't a joke. It's sort of a "Weird Al" Yankovic song that "Weird Al" Yankovic never wrote.

Here, then, is Fantasia, singing "Baby Mama." By the time the second chorus rolls around, I want you to join in: "B-A-B-Y M-A-M-A." And as much as you'll want to believe this is some elaborate hoax, it is not:



Despite myself, I just love Fantasia. I really do.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

1 Comment

  1. Peter Varvel Said,

    I can't see or hear the name Fantasia without thinking of the ice cream flavor by the same name that Disneyland park used to sell, which they named after their classic music animation.

    Mmmm!

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date