Pretending to Be Drunk

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, September 04, 2007
When friends come over to my apartment for a dinner party (catered by Loren who fancies himself an amateur gourmet chef), everybody gets drunk. No, not drunk. Hammered.

Unfortunately, I don't drink. As you know, it's not always pleasant to be the only sober one in the room, so the best I can do is pretend to be drunk by pretending to swig wine straight from the bottle. Throw in a little slurred speech and play up the droopy eyes, and I'm in business.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Peter Varvel Said,

    Now THERE'S a titillating image to see, first thing at work, after a three-day weekend!
    . . . especially for a fellow teetotaler/dick-smoker . . .


  2. golfwidow Said,

    Abstaining when surrounded by staggerers is an amusing pastime. But I guess it's better when you're a guy. I drink occasionally, but not to excess, so I'm often called upon as designated hair holder, a thankless task if I've ever had one.


  3. Quin Said,

    i don't drink... occasionally, i do tequila shots, but, it's so seldom, i don't count it.

    like gw, i'm the designated hair holder.

    it's a thankless job.

    however, being the sober one allows you to be the one to say, "no, let me tell you what REALLY happened last night" which either wins you life long enemies or earns you wads of cash to keep your mouth shut.


  4. Cheryl Said,

    I have an amazing ability to look drunk in pictures even when I'm completely sober. I could give lessons in drunk-faking. It's all about the half-closed left eye.


  5. There's something rather liberating about drunk-faking. You get all the fun of drunken excess, but you retain your dignity and hold an air of superiority over the actually-drunk.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date