What's Your Favorite First Line From a Song?

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Speaking of great first lines, I'm wondering what your favorite first line from a song is. Post your answers below so we can get a comprehensive overview of fantastic lyrics that kick off good (or bad) tunes.

What's mine? Well, I'm going to have to go with the first line from Robbie William's "Ghosts": "Here I stand victorious/The only man who made you come." Now that's how you start a song!
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. golfwidow Said,

    Nothing so powerful for me (I might possibly have gone with No Regrets if it weren't copycatting you).

    I know too many songs and this is the one that I always come back to as having the best first line(s):

    "Blackbird singing in the dead of night: Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise."
    -- Blackbird, The Beatles.


  2. Quin Said,


    she got it... one of the best first lines ever.

    i so hate her.

    wait, she can read this, can't she?



  3. Actually, you can't damn her because...that submission doesn't count! She can't have a whole stanza to make her case!

    One line or one complete sentence only! :-)

    Oh, and now I'm gonna let you post more than one song because I just thought of another great one.

    The opening line from John Wesley Harding's "Miss Fortune": "I was born with a coat hanger in my mouth."


  4. golfwidow Said,

    The first line of Ghosts is "Here I stand, victorious", so I assumed you were at least allowing second lines.


  5. Let me just make rules up as I go along. Ha!


    First line only.


    Second (or third) line is okay if combined with the first line it creates one complete sentence, as in, "Here I stand, victorious, the only man who made you come."

    Man, this is getting complicated.


  6. Peter Varvel Said,

    "My name is Prince,
    And I am funky"
    ~the artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince

    Betcha' never heard THAT one before!



  7. Cheryl Said,

    Rufus Wainwright has a few good ones:

    "California, California, you're such a wonder that I think I'll stay in bed." (California)

    "My phone's on vibrate for you." (Vibrate)

    "I don't know what I'm doing, I don't know what I'm saying, I don't know why I'm watching all these white people dancing." (This Love Affair)


  8. Dolores Lovebombs Said,

    I've always enjoyed Joe Jackson (no big winner of the handsome lottery himself) singing the first line of "Is She Really Going Out With Him?":

    "Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street..."

    That's ballsy, Joe, and I love you for it.


  9. Okay okay, Im gona go with Kelly Clarkson's new one, Never Again.

    "I hope the ring you gave to her, turn her finger green."

    Thats a pretty awesome 1st line for me but its better when its combined with the second line:

    "I hope when you're in bed with her, you think of me."

    I effing love that song.
    And yes, I have issues.


  10. And oh oh!! I got another one!

    "Its Britney bitch"



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date