Revisiting Boy Bands: A1 Kills...Literally

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, November 13, 2007
I know the heyday of boy bands ended in the early 2000s, but I remain nostalgic for their brand of dumb teen pop, uber-cheesy dance moves, sexual ambiguity, and hot pieces of ass. So from time to time now, let's revisit some boy bands of yesteryear that remain dear to my loins, er, my heart. No, I'm not going to dredge up the Backstreet Boys or 'N Sync or other groups that saturated tween consciousness—I'd like to tap those bands that I don't think got a fair shake in the United States, although they made big splashes in their home countries.

Case in point: A1 (1999-2002). A1 is so swoon-worthy that teen girls kill themselves in their presence. You may not see the appeal, but has anyone ever killed themselves over you? No. So take my word for it. Just marvel at those (gay gay gay gay gaaaaaaaaaay) outfits, that (gay gay gay gay gaaaaaaaaaay) dancing, and the (gay gay gay gay gaaaaaaaaaay) lip-syncing. The gushing smoke effects are icing on the (gay gay gay gay gaaaaaaaaaay) cake:



ABC News reported years ago after the crushing incident:

In the Philippines' capital, Manila, the band canceled a similar appearance at a mall when a crowd of more than 20,000 fans stormed the complex, toppling barriers and breaking a window.

...Proving once again that the Filipinos will not be outdone by anybody, not even the Indonesians.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

2 Comments

  1. Heyyy.....why A1? They suck. They named their band over the highest grade in the British education system.

    Nuff' said.

    Blog bout 5ive. Ahhhh Scott, the girlie fantasy of my 11 year old self.

     

  2. Don't h8! Don't h8!

    ...5ive is actually next on my list! It's all about Abs!

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date