(Way) Back to My Roots

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, December 05, 2007
As much as I love writing plays for the general public, my work is typically not met with as much unabashed enthusiasm as when it is performed for elementary school students—who laugh loudly, are unafraid to interact directly with performers, and clap and cheer like they were having the time of their lives. A couple years ago when I saw a performance of Oskar: The Kid That Could, a play I developed with TheatreWorks in the San Francisco Bay Area, the students (kindergartners through fifth graders) responded so positively that I declared afterward, "I've finally found my audience! Five-year-olds!" The show promotes literacy and poetry through a mischievous main character, a 10-year-old boy, and now tours regularly to schools all around the Peninsula.

So of course I jumped at the opportunity today when I was offered to write the sequel, this time about bullying, which will go on tour as early as the next academic year. (And for those of you who don't know, most of the money in theater is in education programs. So hop on that train, playwrights. It can butter your bread pretty nicely and pretty thick.)

Anyway, the contract is on its way, and it looks like my first play in two years will be for children. I go where I'm wanted.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

0 Comments



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date