As Compelling as I Am

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, January 09, 2008
Within the last couple days alone, my fellow bloggers have been posting really compelling entries on theater, and they are must-reads if you're an actor, theater practitioner, or anyone interested in the arts.

Impact Theatre artistic director Melissa Hillman just re-posted her frank, funny, and illuminating "Top Ten No-Holds-Barred Audition Tips." For example, her very first tip is an obvious one, but apparently some actors still don't abide by it:

Be polite....

If you act like a diva or an asshole or an irresponsible flake for your three months of rehearsals and performances at one theatre, I wouldn't be surprised [if] every other theatre in town knew about it by the next TBA event.

FUN FACT! Some bitch cut me off and took my parking space as I was on my way to La Val's for auditions a few years back, and guess who was my first audition? Mm-hm. Be nice, even in the parking lot.

Lest you have misinterpreted the above, Isaac at Parabasis writes about "The Necessity of Actors" and laments about the sad state of affairs:

After all, you can do a script anywhere, but it has to be acted by someone. That might seem obvious, but it's worth stating again: Scripts are portable. Actors are less portable. As the pay discrepancies from theatre and television get worse, actors will get less and less portable.

Playwright Ken Narasaki's "Part of a Personal Statement" presents a candid view of what writers face when trying to get their play produced in this day and age:

I have become convinced that the play selection process for most non-profit theatres, especially after so many play development programs and literary departments were disbanded in the 1990s, is fundamentally broken, and playwrights, especially minority playwrights, must develop their own work using the resources available to them.

Ah, but it's not all doom and gloom. Individual artists continue to band together for the greater good, as Donovan Keith demonstrates in "I'm Working for Thai Royalty." He is, of course, referring to me, as he (an actor) and me (a writer) who both essentially work from home have devised an online buddy system to keep track of each other's daily progress. This is important because, as Donovan lucidly puts it:

What starts as a seemingly innocent click on an email link can turn into 11 hours of missing time, not unlike a W.C. Fields-style gin-induced blackout.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. The New Me Said,

    I suppose it's my age, and though I agree with every word in Melissa Hillman's top ten list, I'm surprised it even needs to be said anymore, or again, or at all. And I never gossip about that actor who was a dick to me on the phone...yeah, that's the ticket.


  2. Quin Said,

    always treat the crew with respect.

    we are on headsets, we watch the talent (and the props that eat) come and go. our jobs require as much training and devotion as those of you in front of the curtain.

    honour your stage manager.

    seriously...he/she isn't there to be treated with disdain. and most of us know how to use a sharp pencil to cause you personal injury without leaving fingerprints. we also know all of the lines, cues and blocking...


  3. OMG, we ALL know about stage managers. We ALL know to FEAR them.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date