Fucking Amazing

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Sunday, January 27, 2008
After seeing Persepolis this afternoon at the theater, I had to lock myself in a restroom stall for about three minutes so I could cry. Man, this movie really wrecked me emotionally. It also happens to be very funny and visually stunning, with many animated images that are indescribably beautiful. Who knew a film about growing up in war-torn Iran could be this highly original, imaginative, and filled with eye candy?

Based on Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novels, one of the many things this multi-layered film explores is what it means to forgo one's national identity, and when you discover that our heroine in the movie and in real life...

[BEGIN POSSIBLE SPOILER]




...eventually ended up in self-imposed exile in France...




[END POSSIBLE SPOILER]

...it's absolutely heartbreaking. I think the reason the movie resonated so deeply with me is because I am a child of immigrants. In fact, I think anybody who claims minority status in any country can identify strongly with Satrapi's outsider status during her time in Austria and in France. The tragic thing is that she is also in many ways an outsider in her own native Iran.

See this movie now:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

7 Comments

  1. Isaac Said,

    OMG Prince, this is easily one of the best movies of 2007 if not THE best! I love it! I've been telling everybody to go see it. EVERYBODY. But they all say "animation? And it's not Pixar? Forget it!". Grrrr. I love this film to death. You got to see it in french,yes?

     

  2. Sterling Said,

    I've been wanting to see this for weeks! It isn't playing anywhere. Ugh.

    As far as I know, they only show it in french with english subtitles. Well, great. It'll help me practice my french.

     

  3. Isaac, yes, I saw it in French. And I love how the fact that it's in French and not Persian actually reflects the themes of the movie. How fucking brilliant is that?!?!?!

    Sterling, you and your backwards town! ...Well, maybe the Oscar nomination will give it a boost and it'll open in more theaters. Hope. Pray. See this on the big screen.

     

  4. {mto} Said,

    Prince, wow, this looks really good. Thanks for writing about it. I'll definitely see it.

     

  5. Sterling Said,

    Persian isn't a language, babe.

    It's playing in Miami, four hours away. I'm debating on whether to take a day trip and go see it.

     

  6. If you are intrigued by that trailer, then you will probably end up loving it. Take the day trip.

    "Persian" is actually the English word for "Farsi." (I had to look it up after the movie. Go here for further clarification. :))

     

  7. Sterling Said,

    I did not know that. Thank you for looking that up. Of course, it is Wikipedia, not the most reliable source, but an article like that couldn't have gotten under the radar. I always thought that Persian was rather impolite.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date