I checked the news this morning and discovered that the fire I reported in my previous post was a huge, two-alarm fire that took about 100 firefighters to fight and two hours to contain. Two homeless people who were inside the abandoned house were found dead after the fire had been completely extinguished.

What would've happened if I had called 911 the moment I smelled smoke instead of dithering around for few moments trying to figure out if the fire I was witnessing was real? Would it have made a difference?
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Peter Varvel Said,

    My gosh, Prince. I know we all do it, but you can't do that - you can't ask yourself those kind of what ifs. You have to focus on the good that came out of your making the phone call (maybe more than two would have been lost if you hadn't . . . ?).
    Don't have that kind of Liam Neeson regret at the end of Schindler's List.


  2. Quin Browne Said,

    what you did was wonderful to begin with...



  3. golfwidow Said,

    On the other side of this, the two people in the house did not belong there, and were probably responsible for setting the fire to begin with, whether to keep warm, by falling asleep smoking, or cooking food, or cooking meth, or whatever. It's entirely possible, nearly to a certainty, that they were already trapped by the time you first smelled the smoke. I'm NOT saying anyone deserves to die that way, only that you're less to blame for their deaths than they themselves were.

    Also consider: You were responsible enough to make sure it wasn't a false alarm and courageous enough to get involved. As far as I'm concerned, you're a hero.


  4. LAP Said,

    You took action, and you weren't even in familiar surroundings. Those people had been breathing in the smoke you smelled for far longer than moments.


  5. Next time I will remember to follow my own code of conduct.... In tough situations, always ask yourself, "What would Zac Efron do?" ...So next time I encounter a fire, I will sing and dance and fight that fire with the power of my flaming self!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date