Be Still My Beating Crotch

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Friday, August 22, 2008
James Franco is on the cover of the new GQ, but the hot pictures inside are not what I want to share with you. But, while we're here, we might as well take a look at this month's spank material anyway. Click to engorge, er, I mean, enlarge:

What I really want to share with you is a story that Franco tells about how far he went when going "Method" for the Nicolas Cage-directed Sonny, a movie about a New Orleans male prostitute. For the film, Franco decided to do some research. Deep research:

“There was a strip club on Bourbon Street,” he begins. “I had only ever been to one strip club before I went to New Orleans to do that movie. But I started going to every strip club. There was one they advertise as ‘Live Sex Shows’ and I went in there and met a male stripper who said he was straight and that he serviced men and women. I later found out he didn’t really tell the truth all the time. But I thought he was a good model for my part. And he was the guy I hung out with the most. He would do lap dances for people, and then in between we hung out in the back. So I was with him one night and this other guy came in. And this guy came in and said to my friend, ‘Hey, man, I need you for a job right now—this guy wants two.’ And he said, ‘I’m hanging out with James doing research for this movie.’ And the guy says, ‘You’re doing research? Okay. You want to do real research. You’re going to come down, come to the hotel. This guy’s so out of his mind on coke, he won’t even know what’s going on. You just sit in the corner in the chair, take your shirt off, sit there, you can watch the whole thing.’ I said, ‘Okay.’ ”

Weren’t you a bit worried about what you were getting yourself into?

“Yeah. Heck, yes. But then I thought, ‘Well, this is real research. I’ve got to do this for the role, man, I’ve got to do this.’ But yeah, it was terrifying. Especially when I get there—this guy was a doctor, apparently. He was an older man. And they whip out the cocaine and they start doing cocaine on the desk and I’m like—am I incriminating myself? I mean, I didn’t do any of the cocaine. Okay? I just went there to observe. So that was scary. It was in a nice hotel. The guy who took us over had a key to the room. So he just opened up and the doctor is just lying in the bed. And he wasn’t completely naked when we got in there, but he certainly got naked.”

And so where in the room did you go?

“I was just standing over near the desk. And they all got in the bed and, I mean, he was out of his head. He was so high on cocaine, I guess, or drunk or whatever, and he was saying, like, ‘Oh, my wife and daughters are coming tomorrow, but this is great.’ It was the first time I ever saw a cock ring. He put on a cock ring. And then they both kind of like stood over him, and the guy was, like, stroking both of them and he was like, ‘Ah, all these cocks, I love these cocks.’ ” (Later, Franco would tell Cage about all this, and it would become the inspiration for when Cage’s character in the movie, a pimp called Acid Yellow, snorts a line and then declares, “I love coke cock.”)

And did you take your shirt off to, so to speak, be in the vibe?

“Yeah, I guess I had my shirt off.”

Did I just really fucking read that?! A shirtless James Franco watched guys have a threesome?! I love this world.

Read the whole interview here.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Anonymous Said,

    Wow, great post! I would never have heard about this if you hadn't posted it.


  2. If he was really dedicated to his role he would have jumped in the bed with grandpa.


  3. Anon, I'm glad I can share dirty, pervy stories with you!

    Mike, you're right. But let's not get greedy here. Who knows WHAT he's not admitting to.


  4. Ashley Said,

    I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

    James Franco makes my vaginal juices pour out faster than Niagra Falls.


  5. What an image. James Franco, I'm sure, would approve.


  6. Peter Varvel Said,

    He 'guesses' he had his shirt off?
    I wonder if the old doc did any alpine skiing that night?


  7. “Yeah, I guess I had my shirt off.”

    ...I think that's the line that made me shoot my wad.


  8. LAP Said,

    I didn't think I could love Franco more after Pineapple Express...and yet even if that's completely made up, that's the greatest thing ever. Thank you for completely blazing the distaste from my last experience with GQ.


  9. “Yeah, I guess I had my shirt off.”

    ...I'm STILL in the motherfucking floor!


  10. LAP Said,

    Seriously, could he come off as a greater combination of Brando and James Dean here? It was just this great self-portrayal of an old school method actor, and I love how GQ's cover interviews are like super old school Rolling Stone/ Interview magazine interviews. The part where he gleefully talks about the scene where he craps on the floor in his own project made me laugh with delight, as did everything really. How can you BE that supposedly unaware of what you're revealing about yourself without being somehow altered? It's crayzee.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date