Chinese People See Fortune Cookies for the First Time

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Some of you may have seen that New York Times article by Jennifer 8 Lee earlier this year that traced the origins of the fortune cookie or heard about her book, The Fortune Cookie Chronicles. Since fortune cookies are not from China (GASP!), you'll find the following video clip amusing—Chinese people are introduced to fortune cookies for the first time ever:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Jon Hunt Said,

    That article was REALLY interesting.


  2. I always must try to further educate my white brothers and sisters.


  3. narrioch Said,

    Well I did find the clip funny, and it did clear up for me where fortune cookies came from - I thought they were American, not Japanese. The best fortune I got was something along the lines of "Evil always leads to the dark side" - such doom and gloom!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date