The Life and Times of Pork Chop

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Friday, August 15, 2008
Pork Chop's new favorite TV show is Meerkat Manor. I put on the pilot episode the other afternoon, and Pork Chop jumped up on the couch and watched it from beginning to end. I'm not sure if he was more interested in the animals running back and forth across the screen or if the creature sounds were what kept his attention rapt.

For those of you who don't know, Meerkat Manor is an Animal Planet reality show that follows around a family of meerkats in the South African desert who have been part of a 10-year university study. It's cute, sure, but it's also full of high drama and suspense. After watching half of the first season, I declared, "This is just like The Sopranos! But with meerkats!"—I mean, there are complicated family politics, painful excommunications, problem children, internal power struggles, rival gangs, unforeseen acts of nature, violence, and death. And, indeed, I stumbled upon an ad online and found out how they advertised a subsequent season:

(That graphic is Sopranos-style, for those of you who don't know.)

I'm not entirely sure Pork Chop completely gets the narrative, but there sure is lots to look at and listen to. And the fact that I can spend time sharing a TV show with my cat fills me with wonder and comfort.

(Folks, how are subsequent seasons? [Don't post spoilers though! Thanks!])
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. OMG I love this show. Didn't get to catch it often though but the drama...oh the drama makes me feel all tingly inside.


  2. Narrioch Said,

    Totally loved this show too! I've seen a few of them and they cracked me up every time, our cats loved it too, that and squirrel agility programmes.


  3. Apuykat Said,


    My cat Katie likes it too. She likes bird shows the most though.


  4. Yay! We're all bonding over meerkats. I feel warm and huggy.

    And I love how the English will come up with terms like "squirrel agility programmes." That's awesome!


  5. Narrioch Said,

    We do have a penchant for strange TV shows! I will bond with anyone who loves animals - warm hugs all around!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date