Unsung Movies

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, August 13, 2008
I'm going to go out on a limb here and choose Mute Witness (1995) as this week's Unsung Movies pick. I haven't seen this film in many years, so I honestly don't know how it holds up over time or if I would genuinely recommend it here and now—but I do have fond memories of it. The first time I saw it in the theater, it scared the shit out of me, and a college friend of mine (Pablo, where are you?!) corroborated the movie's awesomeness, over which we bonded.

Mute Witness tells the story of a mute make-up artist who sees a real murder on the set of a horror movie she's working on—what she witnesses is the making of a gruesome snuff film. The first chase scene through hallways and stairwells of a dark building in Moscow is so well shot and edited that I remember it being one of the most terrifying things I had ever seen.

What starts out as a horror film then morphs into a thriller (with some elements of comedy), a genre bait-and-switch that is either brilliant or infuriating, depending on your threshold for that type of thing.

The culminative effect of the movie may not have the same oopmh as the set-up, but it's a ride I remember enjoying because it was full of unexpected twists.

Do I think that now? I don't know. Do you? Has anyone seen it? Hmm:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

6 Comments

  1. I have! For like 5 mins than I flip over to Cinemax to watch Independence Day....which rocked even more than this movie. Ahem.

    *buff nails*

     

  2. Hi. I just started visiting your blog today, after reading your piece in APA. I enjoyed it. It was revealing and I was forced to ask my parents to read it, nevertheless, they are supportive of my choice.

    I will keep visiting.

    Take care...

     

  3. TCDO, you have Cinemax in Malaysia? Wow, you're country is more advanced than I thought! :)

    Onyeka, thanks for writing. I'm glad you got something out of it, and I'm happy that your parents are supportive. Just remember, the faster you get into a state of self-satisfaction and self-pride about your work, the faster your parents will too. :) They will follow your lead. Best wishes.

     

  4. Sure. I think you have done much to be admired for. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog.

     

  5. Yeah Prince....we have cable with about 200 channels. Internation and regional ones. We also have Star World/Movies, AXN, Hallmark etc.

     

  6. TCDO, wow! I'm amazed? Do you have running water? Have you heard of this thing called "electricity"? :)

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date