What's Your Favorite First Line From a Song?: The Official Thread

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I posted this topic last year, but, while several people responded, the thread didn't take off like I thought it would. So let's give it another shot, shall we?

What's your favorite first line from a song?

A whole stanza does not count. So, you can either have 1.) the very first line of the very first verse or 2.) the first line and the second (and third and fourth, possibly) if those lines put together creates just one complete sentence. Are we clear?

Below are several of my favorites. I'll add more in the comments section as I hear them throughout the year, and I encourage you to come back to add to the list as well (check out my format below):

"Shall we agree that just this once/I'm gonna change my life?"
--"The Other End of the Telescope" by Elvis Costello

"I was born with a coat hanger in my mouth."
--"Miss Fortune" by John Wesley Harding

"It's Britney, bitch."

--"Gimme More" by Britney Spears

"Here I stand, victorious/The only man who made you come."

--"Ghosts" by Robbie Williams
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Ouuuu this would be tough. Hhhmm...these are a few......

    I hope the ring you gave to her/Turn her finger green
    - Kelly Clarkson (Never Again)

    It's Britney, bitch.
    - Soooo with you on that one.

    Okay I'm out, but I'll be back.


  2. Jon Hunt Said,

    "Don't let the sun go down on our Empire, it's too much to waste"

    - The Empire, "You're Not Alone"


  3. Mead Said,

    Would I lie to you?
    -- Annie Lennox, mais oui!


    I didn't know...the gun was loaded....


    Who's sorry now?


  4. Patrick Said,

    Up on the white veranda, she wears a necktie and a Panama hat.

    Black Diamond Bay, B. Dylan


  5. Annie Said,

    I guess I should have known by the way you parked your car sideways that it wouldn't last.
    - Prince, "Little Red Corvette"

    Tumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen, pour myself a cup of ambition...
    - Dolly Parton, 9 to 5


  6. Eliska Said,

    In a coffee shop in a city
    Which is every coffee shop in every city
    On a day which is every day

    Little Plastic Castle
    -Ani Difranco


  7. William Said,

    "O where is your inflammatory writ/ your text that would incite a light be lit?"
    --"Inflammatory Writ" by Joanna Newsom

    "I hope that our few remaining friends/ give up on trying to save us."
    --"No Children" by The Mountain Goats

    "Well I built a little empire/ out of some crazy garbage/ called the blood of the exploited working class."
    --"Kiss Me Son of God" by They Might Be Giants

    "What a beautiful face/ I have found in this place/ that is circling/ all round the sun."
    --"In the Aeroplane over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel

    "I know that you want the candy [Mr. Gomolvilas]"
    --"You Want the Candy" by The Raveonettes


  8. Quin Browne Said,

    blackbird singing in the dead of night-blackbird (the beatles)

    i don't know you, but i want you, all the more for that-falling slowly (glen hansard/marketa irglova)

    it's outrageous to line your pockets off the misery of the poor.
    outrageous the crime some human beings must endure. -outrageous (paul simon)

    you must remember this,
    a kiss is still a kiss-as time goes by


  9. k. crow Said,

    Whatcha gonna do when you get out of jail?
    -- "Genius of Love", Tom Tom Club

    Emily tries but misunderstands.
    -- "See Emily Play", Pink Floyd

    Love, love is a verb, love is a doing word.
    --"Teardrop", Massive Attack feat. Elizabeth Fraser

    You should see Polythene Pam she's so good looking that she looks like a man.
    --"Polythene Pam", The Beatles


  10. Howard Ho Said,

    If I ventured in the slipstream
    Between the viaducts of your dream
    Where immobile steel rims crack
    And the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    -Astral Weeks, Van Morrison


  11. These are terrific, folks, even the ones I've never heard before. Keep 'em comin'. Thanks!


  12. Narrioch Said,

    Oh I, I just died in your arms tonight
    - Cutting Crew

    Her hair is Harlow Gold
    - Kim Carnes

    These ones always get me singing along!


  13. Ooouuuu I just rmbr another one:

    Have you heard of my religion/ It's called the Church of Hot Addiction.
    - Cobra Starship (Church of Hot Addiction)


  14. Stephanie Said,

    Annie, that Prince selection is great!

    Oh, so many to choose from, but a few leap to mind:

    "The Mississippi delta was shining like a National guitar."
    -- "Graceland" by Paul Simon

    "Just before our love got lost you said,/'I am as constant as a northern star'"
    -- "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell

    "You are my sweetest downfall."
    -- "Samson" by Regina Spektor

    "Love and happiness/something that can make you do wrong, make you do right."
    -- "Love and Happiness" by Al Green

    "Twas in another lifetime, one of toil and blood."
    --"Shelter from the Storm" by Bob Dylan

    "The butter melts out of habit/you know the toast isn't even warm."
    -- "Out of Habit" Ani Difranco


  15. Jessica Said,

    There's blood in my mouth 'cause I've been biting my tongue all week.

    --Rilo Kiley, "Portions for Foxes"

    Also one of my favorite song endings comes from Jenny Lewis' solo album:

    I'll end with a closer, and say good night.

    --Jenny Lewis, "It Wasn't Me"


  16. Eliska Said,

    Ohhh, Al Green. Yes.

    I'm, I'm so in love with you,
    whatever you want to do,
    is alright with me.

    -Let's Stay Together


  17. "relax and take notes/ while I take tokes of the marijuana smoke"

    -Notorious BIG "Dead Wrong"

    (Just so happens I'm listening to it now!)


  18. OR! "When I die, fuck it, I wanna go to hell"

    -Notorious BIG "Suicidal Thoughts"


  19. Alan Goy Said,

    It doesn't matter what I say
    So long as I sing with inflection

    -Hook by Blues Traveler


  20. LAP Said,

    "a screen door slams, Mary's dress waves..."
    -Bruce Springsteen "Thunder Road"

    There's more, but that one came to me without thinking...


  21. Anonymous Said,

    Ass-shaking competition champ/ ooh that pussy gets damp.

    Backyard Betty, by Spank Rock


  22. Misty Harris Said,

    "I've been a bad, bad girl."
    - Fiona Apple, Criminal

    "You've got them all by the balls, causin waterfalls."
    - Peaches, Boys Wanna Be Her

    Mmm... I wonder what this says about me? Best not to think about such things.


  23. amy.leblanc Said,

    1st: howard ho, that is my favorite ALBUM ever.


    I am not you senorita
    I am not from your tribe
    In the garden I did no crime
    --Tori Amos

    i'm drunk.
    and right now i'm so in love with you.
    --NIN, "the only time"

    There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
    And she's buying a stairway to heaven.


  24. ashley Said,

    I still have a flame gun for the cute ones.

    - "Nude as the News" Cat Power


  25. diana Said,

    My eyes are green 'cause I eat a lot of vegetables
    - Erykah Badu (Green Eyes)

    Have you ever been to American wedding?
    - Gogol Bordello (American Wedding)

    'Scuse me girl, I know it's a bit embarrassing, but I just noticed some tan lines--on your shirt
    - The Streets (Fit But You Know It)

    ...and there are more (of course!) but that's all I can think of now!


  26. Mead Said,

    Just have to add one more, courtesy of Elvis Costello

    "There are some things you can't cover up with liptick and powder..."

    -- "Girls Talk"


  27. "Oh, for the sake of momentum/I've allowed my fears to get larger than life."
    --"Momentum" by Aimee Mann

    ...No one's come up with anything by Johnny Cash? John Lennon solo? Leonard Cohen?


  28. Anonymous Said,

    I feel tears welling up going deep inside like my heart sprung a big break/ and the stab of loneliness, sharp and painful, that I may never shake.
    --The Race is On by George Jones

    The first thing I remember knowing/ was a lonesome whistle blowing/ and a youngin's dream of growing up to ride/ on a freight train leaving town/ not knowing where I'm bound/ and no one could change my mind, but Mama tried.

    --Mama Tried, by Merle Haggard

    One of my fondest memories/ was sitting on my daddy's knees/ listening to the stories that he told.

    Van Lear Rose, by Loretta Lynn


  29. Here's an ooooooooldie but a goodie:

    "People are queer, they're always crowing, scrambling and rushing about..." - Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries (George Gershwin"


  30. "Everybody knows that the dice are loaded, everybody rolls with their fingers crossed..." Leonard Cohen, "Everybody Knows"


  31. "The secret o' life is enjoying the passage of time..."
    James Taylor, SECRET O' LIFE


  32. "All the late night bargains have been struck between the satin beaus and their belles..." - Dire Straits, "Your Latest Trick"

    (and I know we're not supposed to do stanzas, but here goes):

    "Prehistoric garbage trucks
    Have the city to themselves
    Echoes, roars, dinosaurs,
    They're all doing the monster mash
    Most of the taxis
    Most of the whores
    Are only taking calls for cash..."


  33. "It doesn't hurt me.
    Do you want to feel how it feels? " - Kate Bush, "Runnin' Up That Hill"


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date