David Sedaris's Hilarious Undecided Voter Analogy

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, October 22, 2008
In his great new piece in The New Yorker, David Sedaris gives his take on this election's undecided voters:

To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. "Can I interest you in the chicken?" she asks. "Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?"

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.

I mean, really, what's to be confused about?

[Thanks to Brent for alerting me to this.]
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Cheryl Said,

    It's a great piece. He never mentions either candidate's name (which probably makes the essay more anthologize-able), but I like how, referring to his pothead young adult self, he points out that, "Anyone who calls himself a maverick isn't one."


  2. Indeed. This really is a terrific piece. I love his mother.


  3. Ahhhh Sedaris, how I adore him so.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date