Mormons...FOR Gay Marriage

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Thursday, October 16, 2008
It's not all doom and gloom, folks. Some Mormons are not only not out to get me but they also are actively supporting the effort to promote equal rights and defeat Proposition 8 in California. I stumbled across the blog of a Mormon woman in Utah (!) who re-posted a passionate letter from her Mormon woman friend in Utah (!), one facing outrage from her friends and family over her stance to stand up against Prop 8. It's a thoughtful, inspiring read. From her moving conclusion:

I didn’t plan on making prop 8 a big issue. I have always been vocal about what I think, I thought everyone knew where I stood on this issue, and it is outside my stewardship as a resident of Utah to tell Californians how to vote. But I read Elder Ballard’s and Elder Cook’s talks and they encouraged me to go viral with how I felt about prop 8 so I followed my priesthood leadership and did just that. This is not only how I feel rationally when I reason through equality on the doctrinal and governmental level, but it is what I feel is right. It is what is communicated to my soul, what the “plain and precious voice” says to me.

Now respond or argue, don’t. Think about what I said, don’t. Change your mind, don’t. I’m a big fan of free agency and you have the right to agree with me 100%, 90%, 80%, 50%, 40%, or 0%. And I love you all still the same, and I hope you love me the same and don’t worry about my choices or beliefs. You worry about yours, and I’ll worry about mine. And together we won’t collectively worry about the rest of America or the world. We'll just love each other and get rid of monstrosities like having poverty in the 21st century. And like I said before, I’m open minded enough to think that we’re all right to varying degrees. I hope some of you can admit that too about my beliefs.

If you're so inclined, you can leave them a comment of support. That blog also links to a site called Mormons for Marriage, which is doing its part to spread the word.

Lastly, in light of Aaron's drunk ramblings, I wanted to point out that when the U.S. Supreme Court validated interracial marriage in 1967 (Loving v. Virginia) most of this country was against it. A Gallup poll in 1968 revealed that a whopping 72% of Americans disapproved of interracial marriage. History has shown us what can be achieved despite seemingly insurmountable odds and the tide of negative public opinion. When you're on the right side of history, you're on the right side of history:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or follow me on Facebook or Twitter or YouTube. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do all those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

4 Comments

  1. fourthirtyam Said,

    Hello... "Mormon woman in Utah (!)" here. Thank you for linking to my blog post and thank you for spreading Crystal's letter. The LDS church is far less monolithic than people think it is (google: MESJ - Mormons for Equality and Social Justice, for example. Crystal and I are both very active in our Salt Lake City chapter and also have responsibilities in the national organization). Anyway, know that not all Mormons support the bigoted social policies of our church. Gay rights is the civil rights issue of our generation, no question about it, and many of us are fighting the good fight right alongside you!

     

  2. That woman is going to Hell along with all of you homosexuals.

     

  3. Fourthirtyam, thanks so much. I heartens me (and many) to know that you're out there. (And, by the way, since you don't have context, Mike is joking, no matter how much he'll try to trick you into thinking otherwise. That's why he's my BFF. He's so enigmatic.)

     

  4. Renee Gannon Said,

    I'm glad you posted this, after thinking that pretty much all Mormons are homophobic (see Lesbian Politics: Dude Mormons--Why the $H8?? it's nice to know there's a little light at the end of the religious tunnel

     













Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date

Blogroll