New Is the New New

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Thursday, October 30, 2008
Now that the stars of High School Musical have fulfilled their commitment to the Disney franchise (they'll do cameos at best in HSM4), most of them, I presume, are looking to reinvent themselves. After all, you can only be hero-worshiped by 13-year-old girls for so many years before it starts to get...well...creepy.

We all now know that Zac Efron will be getting Footloose and fancy-free (not flying too far from the nest, I suppose), but did you know that Lucas Grabeel, who plays the thinly coded gay one in HSM, will be playing an overtly decoded gay one in Gus Van Sant's Milk? (Not flying too far from the nest either, I suppose.)

I think it's a bold step forward for Grabeel, but I do wonder about the necessity of what he decided he had to post on his official website, as a sort of explanation to his tween fans:

I know that a lot of you will not understand (until you're older) that in the film industry, as an actor, you play roles. What that means is you completely embody another person and become someone you are not. I'm NOT Ryan Evans. I'm NOT Kelly Kuzio from Veronica Mars, I'm NOT Lex Luthor... I'm Lucas. But when I go to WORK (just like your parents go to work everyday) I assume the character of whom I'm playing and create a story for people to enjoy. In the movie Milk, I PLAY a homosexual... that doesn't mean that I am gay. Sean Penn, one of the greatest actors of our generation is playing Harvey Milk, a gay character... but He is married to Robin Wright-Penn.(Princess Bride... if you haven't seen that movie see it!!!) Most people in this movie are straight men playing gay men.... Emile Hersch, James Franco, and Diego Luna are just a few....

The lady doth protest too much? I'm not sure.

...Anyway, it is in the spirit of reinvention that I present to you Bamboo Nation's totally new and awesome design! (Those of you reading this in an RSS reader or by e-mail must go to the main site immediately to see how fabulous it is.)
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

6 Comments

  1. Holy Crap! Good thing you say that you have a new look or I wouldn't have know. Read your in my Google Reader.

    Liking the new look Prince. Much neater, easier on the eyes. Green's your favourite colour?

    And this Lucas, poor thing you know. It must sucks to have only underaged children lusting for you.

     

  2. Wow. I've been away from my computer for a few days and I come back to find this. The page looks very, very nice. Well done.

    Oh, and that picture of the dude wearing the dress. . . it's not from the movie. That's just him at some random club pretending not to be gay.

     

  3. M.J.Pike Said,

    This confuses me - Grabeel's 'justification' is clearly aimed at kids, although they're presumably rather intelligent kids who understand terms such as 'embody' and concepts of 'assuming the character of whom I'm playing'.

    I also love how he's trying so hard to convince his fans that he's not gay, then professes his love for Princess Bride.

    Crazy. Nice new look to the blog, too. :)

     

  4. Hey, all, I'm glad you like the new look. I was up late nights for the past few days!

    TCDO, the green is to keep with the bamboo theme...but I hear it's also the color of money. :)

    Mike, your observation about Lucas Grabeel made me laugh. I'm glad you're back.

    MJ, I know. Why does he feel the need to "defend" himself from little girls?

     

  5. Tacky Said,

    I like it when straight actors take gay roles, but am sick of their laborious efforts to distance themselves from them...implicit in the "I'm just playing this, it's not who I am" spiel is the suggestion that there is something wrong with being a gay man...lame.

     

  6. Tacky (JW-U), that's why I've always admired Richard Gere who made it a policy not to deny he's gay even though he's straight. He said that the denial is an insult, as if something is wrong if you said yes.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date