Regarding Proposition 8

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, November 05, 2008
I was ready to publish a "concession post" this morning, but I'm going to hold off for a while. As of this writing, Proposition 8 (the California measure that aims to amend the state Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry) has 52% approval, ahead by about 400,000 votes with 95% of precincts reporting. But even after all the precincts have been counted, there are as many as four million late absentee and provisional ballots to be tallied. Look, I'm not naively being Little Mary Sunshine. I know that it's likely that those ballots won't turn the tide, but I don't want to be accused of creating a self-fulfilling prophesy—so I shall wait. Either way, even if Prop 8 officially passes, words of encouragement are forthcoming.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Cheryl Said,

    The important thing is that the larger cultural tide is turning. Gray tabby cats everywhere are turning out in support of gay marriage.


  2. Phil Said,

    I've been following this as well, and at least am encouraged that so many people are turning out in support of gay rights. Despite the opposition, new ideas and new support is opening up, and while I, too, continue to hope that these uncounted ballots will turn the tide just enough, I see a glimmer of hope even if it doesn't.


  3. :( i can't believe it :(
    at least we got Obama in the white house :)


  4. Misty Harris Said,

    Come to Canada! We love the gays! Your cat is welcome, too.

    Seriously though, I do hope the untallied votes make a difference. I am frankly very surprised that such a liberal-minded, forwrad-thinking, bellwether state would have an issue with this. When two men can marry in redbeck Alberta (the Canadian equivalent of Texas) but not in open-minded Cali, you know something is amiss.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date