Save My Thai People!

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Anyone who's lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for a while knows that the best Thai food in the region is at Wat Mongkolratanaram, a Buddhist Thai temple that serves mouth-watering authentic Thai food every Sunday morning. (My mouth is actually watering right now just thinking about it.)

Well, a handful of lousy neighbors continue to complain about the traffic, noise, trash, and "offensive odors," even though the temple has taken measures to address their concerns, and those neighbors are fighting to have the Sunday tradition shut down, even though many of the temple's programs are subsidized by it.

Here's how you can help save Sundays at the Thai temple!

The following is TV news report. OMG, did that lady say, "Their people?!" Watch:

[Thanks to Angry Asian Man for posting this.]
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Quin Browne Said,

    i do believe she did.


  2. I think I saw that lady at a John McCain rally a few weeks ago.


  3. Steve Said,

    OK. I watched the part with that woman 3 times and I'm not so sure "their people" was such a bad thing.

    And I can only guess what your objection to the phrase is, since you didn't really say.

    It sounds like you're calling her a racist, but since you didn't come out and say it explicitly, I can't know exactly what you meant. Just like I can't know exactly what that woman meant by "their people."


  4. why don't They just leave Them alone ;-)


  5. Quin Browne Said,

    because they get tetchy when you say they.


  6. I live in Berkeley, but I only recently discovered Thai Temple - only been there that one time but I really want to go back because it is SO GOOD. I hope this gets worked out.


  7. Anonymous Said,

    I can see both sides here. I mean who wants to have hundreds or thousands of people descending on a residential neighborhood every week. At the same time, the temple should be allowed to serve its members.


  8. My comment about "their people" is mock dramatics akin to the militant Asians who hurl craziness at me on "Asian Week." It's all about context, Steve. :)


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date