Rick Warren Hugs Gay Men

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Sunday, December 21, 2008
The blogosphere and the gay community have been all atwitter over President-elect Barack Obama's choice of pastor to deliver the invocation at his inauguration: Reverend Rick Warren, a right-wing nutjob who has compared gay marriage to incest and pedophilia. I understand the outrage, but I can't help but feel conflicted over the issue. I'm all politicked out, so I'm not going to weigh in too heavily on this topic, but I do want to point you in the direction of two intelligent but divergent views on this drama:

First, in "That Weird Hug From Rick Warren," an LGBT activist reveals a juicy firsthand account on how it felt to be seemingly welcomed by Rick Warren and his church and subsequently shunned in an ultimately chilling way by the same guy who purports, "I have many gay friends, I've eaten dinner in gay homes."

Secondly, the founder of The Bilerico Project comes under much fire in the comments section of his post, "Calm Down: Rick Warren Is Not a Big Deal," which frames the situation as a shrewd political (and spiritual?) move on the part of our President-elect.

On a side note I want to point out that, although many in the gay community pretty much from the beginning embraced Barack Obama as a political ally, perhaps they should step back and consider that maybe he was never the savior that we wanted (and still want) him to be. Remember when Obama told the Chicago Daily Tribune: "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." While he's smart to point out that he doesn't want his religion to guide his politics, how vastly different, really, is his core position from Rick Warren's?

Tangentially, thanks to Mike Valentino for providing the accompanying photo of Rick Warren, which makes him look gayer than me at a White Party.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

2 Comments

  1. Duuude, why would anyone wanna pose like that?

     

  2. That pose attracts gay men.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date