One of my favorite plays of all time is Anton Chekhov's Uncle Vanya (David Mamet's adaptation is brilliant, by the way), so I'm actually kind of excited about seeing Chalk Repertory Theatre's production of Three Sisters in Los Angeles. I'm not too familiar with this particular play, but, since Chekhov has a way with making Russian depression funny, then I'm in. (I think unsuccessful productions of Chekhov tend to take his work too seriously; I mean, the greatest humanists are often also sharp comedians.)

Well, those of you living in the Los Angeles area (or who will be visiting the Los Angeles area) have a chance to win a pair of tickets to opening night of Three Sisters on Sunday, February 1, 2009, which includes a post-show reception with food, music, and champagne—that's an $80 value! (If the winner cannot attend on that day, then he or she may choose any other performance.) Here are details about the production, which stars some guy from Desperate Housewives (I don't watch the show—I know: Bad gay! Bad gay!):
Chalk Repertory Theatre and
Hollywood Forever Cemetery present

THREE SISTERS

by Anton Chekhov

U.S. Premiere of a New Version by Susan Coyne


This classic Russian story features a diverse cast starring Ricardo Antonio Chavira of
Desperate Housewives, with the central family being portrayed by Asian-American actors. Free parking.

January 30, 2009-February 22, 2009


The Masonic Lodge

Hollywood Forever Cemetery

6000 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90038

For more information and tickets, visit
Chalk Repertory Theatre.
For a chance to win, all you have to do is guess what my favorite story from J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories is. (Here's a list of possible titles.) Leave your guess in the comments section. If you're not a Blogger member, you can comment anonymously and leave your name or your initials; when I announce the winner, you'll know if you won and all you have to do is e-mail me. In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen randomly from all correct guesses. Deadline for entries is Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 11:59PM.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

36 Comments

  1. Kennedy Said,

    For Esme with love and squalor.

     

  2. Howard Ho Said,

    Esme was my pick...Damn you, Kennedy!

    The Laughing Man

     

  3. Howard (and everyone else), you can guess the same story as someone else if you want. If more than one person guesses correctly, one name will then just be drawn randomly to select a winner. Anyway, just wanted to clarify the rules.

     

  4. mileysmiles Said,

    I'll go with The Laughing Man...

    argh...haven't read all the stories so there's no way to compare for me...

     

  5. Anonymous Said,

    Love and Squalor.JA

     

  6. LAP Said,

    I'm going to say Down at the Dinghy.

    I'm not sure I could pick which one of those is my favorite story, much less yours, Prince.

     

  7. Eenie meenie miny moe..

     

  8. Is this a sketch of Salinger, or Robert Downey Jr.?

     

  9. quin browne Said,

    "franny and zooey do holden caulfield"

    well, it would have been an interesting short story...


    okay, my pick... 'a perfect day for bananafish"

     

  10. That's actually as sketch of hot Anton Chekhov. The usual pics of him are of him older with a goatee and glasses, but this one makes him look utterly do-able.

     

  11. Just because I'm infantile, I'm going to guess DOWN AT THE DINGHY (heh, heh, heh, heh).

     

  12. I pick Teddy...because I like that ending. lol

     

  13. Oh, God!

    As if the pile of reading next to my bed isn't high enough!

    I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read these. But, now there's no beating around the burning bush of procrastination. Because I'm simply too competitive to wing it. AND I want to see that play.

    Okay, quick answer:

    It's one of these three:
    (Based strictly on Wikipedia descriptions.)

    Teddy
    For Esme - with Love and Squalor
    The Laughing Man.

    Or this fourth one, Bananafish which I noted was originally published on day of some significance (to me) January 31, 1948, which does happen to be around the date you're announcing your choice.

    (Or....maybe, I'm tripping.)

    Either way, looks like I'm adding these Salinger stories to my pile which sports, Ten Days In The Hills, A Day No Man On Which A Man Dies, and piles of potential monolgues actually age appropriate for a tall, articulate 12 year girl auditioning to get into OCSHA for 7th grade. (hint, hint.)

    *whew.

    Louise

     

  14. Adam Said,

    Uncle Wiggly goes to college.

     

  15. Adam Said,

    er um, in Connecticut. Probably New Haven.

     

  16. Solia Said,

    For Esmé with Love and Squalor.

    coz i like lemony snicket. :)

     

  17. Shredder Said,

    "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" is definitely your favorite.

    Justin Lin of the Fellowship of the 9.

     

  18. Elaine Kao Said,

    De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period

     

  19. jas Said,

    down at the dinghy

     

  20. Anonymous Said,

    tough choice b/w esme and de-daumier smith.

    i vote de-daumier.

     

  21. Anna Darko Said,

    "For Esmé - with Love and Squalor"

     

  22. Anonymous Said,

    Me thinks its "Just before the War with the Eskimos" - Saima :)

     

  23. Anonymous Said,

    Down at the Dinghy

     

  24. Bernice Said,

    Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut is your favorite!

    Bernice the Fellowship of 9

     

  25. Saba Said,

    Laughing Man

     

  26. rika Said,

    Carole Rika Iida's guess is:
    Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes

     

  27. Anonymous Said,

    i guess "pretty mouth and green my eyes." why j.d. salinger? -JY

     

  28. Charlotte Said,

    For Esme - with Love and Squalor

     

  29. Anonymous Said,

    wut?

     

  30. Amelita P.S. Said,

    I vote De Daumier-Smith

     

  31. Anonymous Said,

    Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut

    MM

     

  32. Anonymous Said,

    Down at the Dinghy! --Gurdeeps

     

  33. courtru Said,

    De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period

     

  34. Anonymous Said,

    Grace R.

    Maybe I just like the way it sounds, but my guess is "Teddy."

     

  35. Serena Said,

    Ok, so I've given the matter quite some thought (unlike many of my minions, the fellowship of the nine! hahahaha). I've even managed to finish half the short stories before I finally realized that JD Salinger is way too smart a writer for me. How dare he cut into his stories with character distraction after character distraction???

    So, first I wanted to guess your favorite as Down at the Dinghy because there's a character named Boo Boo Tannenbaum. But then, I decided that should not be enough for such a funny guy. So I'm going to go with something not that funny -- I'm going to go with my favorite.

    Yes, my final answer is actually The Laughing Man. Ha Ha Ha. I just like magical realism and the innocent, or not so innocent sexuality of it all.

    What can I say? I really really want your tickets.

    Good Night and Good Readings!

     




Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date