ABBA Catfight? Frida Nudges Agnetha During Performance

ABBA performs live.

Let's dig into the video vault, shall we? I'm not privy to all the backstory between the members of ABBA during their heydey, but I do wonder what would compel Frida (with the red-ish hair) to elbow Agnetha (with the blond hair), who apparently gets a bit too close to Frida's husband in this live performance. The person who posted the video, which features the group singing "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do" from their self-titled album (as well as More ABBA Gold), wildly speculates with amusing subtitles. Watch:


Update 02.17.17:

Folks in the comments section below insist there was no rivalry between the two of them and the elbowing was a bit of intentionally playful fun. In fact, according to MTV, the two women have publicly denied that there has ever been any significant conflict in their relationship.

For those of you who are indeed interested in ABBA's behind-the-scenes secrets, you might read The Real Story Abba: Bright Lights Dark Shadows, which claims to dig deep into some of the band's dark personal stories.

And for the record, my favorite ABBA album is the lush, theatrical The Visitors, which features some of the foursome's best tracks, including the beautifully sad ballad about a mother watching her child grow up, "Slipping Through My Fingers." Take a look and listen to this live performance in Sweden in 1981:


Decades later, Meryl Streep would sing the song to great effect in Mamma Mia! (2008), the movie musical based on the stage musical based on the songs of ABBA. I'm not a big fan of the film, but any chance to watch Meryl Streep sing is worth it. She gives quite a moving performance here:


Related Items You Might Enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/28/2010

    i can tell you truley that there was never any rivalry between Agnetha and Frida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/20/2012

    Previous comment is right.
    There's no rivalry between them.
    That elbowing was simply part of
    the act during the song, not to
    be taken seriously.I hope you
    guys understand.

    ReplyDelete