Master of a Universe (Go, Trojans!)

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Let's get the good news out of the way first: a couple weeks ago I was kind of suddenly offered a teaching gig at the University of Southern California, as part of USC's Master of Professional Writing Program. Within a matter of days, I was locked into helming a Master Class in Playwriting for the Fall 2009 semester, I had turned in my syllabus, and I had already been assigned a room number. The MPW is an awesome multidisciplinary graduate program that trains writers to navigate different forms—fiction, poetry, nonfiction, screenwriting, drama.

That's all fine and good and all, but let's get to what's really important, shall we? For all the time it took for me to create an elaborate syllabus, I spent a disproportionate amount of time trying to decide which photo I would use to accompany my faculty bio page. I had to dig through tons of hard-drive consuming picture files (I can't bring myself to delete myself!), narrow them down, and evaluate what each one communicated to the public.

After plenty of careful consideration, I ended up choosing the photo you see above. I leave it up to you to guess what this picture conveys to the world and, more specifically, to prospective students who have no goddamn idea what they're getting themselves into.

(Everything old is new again...when it's in Spanish!)
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. ashley Said,

    Damn it! I knew I should've worked harder to get into USC THIS Fall, but I'm waiting to apply Fall 2010.

    Either way that sounds freaking awesome! Congrats.


  2. ashley Said,

    I just read the part where it said "the acclaimed blog." hahaha, amazing bio.


  3. K Said,

    Congratulations on the new job! It sounds so exciting :)


  4. OOOOOOOOOH Congratulations! YAY!

    BUT. I think you should've used the Jack Bauer *satchel* pose...


  5. Anonymous Said,

    I agree with Superbadfriend. The Jack Bauer satchel pose is now the background image on my computer.


  6. Thanks, all! I'm going to work everyone's fingers TO THE BONE!

    Just like Jack Bauer would.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date