Dork Trek; or: Madea Goes to Space; or: Rudy Huxtable Grows Up to Be a Dirty Slut

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Friday, May 08, 2009
I saw Star Trek last night at the Arclight in Hollywood, where a theater full of geeks experienced simultaneous orgasms repeatedly for two hours. Seriously. It smelled like bleach in there.

I am not a Trekkie. In fact, anytime a Star Trek-related anything appears on my TV screen, I dive for the ground as if I'm throwing myself on a hand grenade to save a battalion. This is something I have to do often. Loren, you see, has a tendency to fill up the DVR hard drive with episodes of Next Generation, which should be expected since he does own an Enterprise uniform and a phaser. I don't know who should be more embarrassed—he or I.

Anyway, going to the new Star Trek was part of Alyssa C.'s birthday party, so it's been on my calendar for weeks. I wrote it down as "Star Blecchh" and have been calling it "Dork Trek" around anybody who will listen.

This is a good movie.

But I don't want to talk about that. I want to talk about the fact that Tyler Perry is in it. Tyler Perry! The guy who plays Madea! He's the head of the motherfucking Starfleet Academy! Throughout the film, I was half-expecting Madea to march onscreen (is she really any less grotesque than the creatures on Star Trek?) and unleash a screed against the Romulans: "I ain't scared o' no Ro-Ro! Call the Ro-Ro, ho! Call the Ro-Ro, ho!" (Building a joke that requires prerequisite knowledge of both Star Trek and Tyler Perry movies is a dangerous feat, but aren't you glad I did it anyway?)

Although I admire Tyler Perry immensely, I know that many of you don't. But you have to give the man mad props, if only for that fact that he cast The Cosby Show's Keisha Knight-Pulliam in his last movie, Madea Goes to Jail. And guess what? Rudy Huxtable is a crack ho! That deserves your respect. Give it. Give it, dork!



Those of you wishing for a Star Trek review befitting to nerds should read Jonny's post. My work is done here.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

2 Comments

  1. Peter Varvel Said,

    I always thought it smelled like chlorine.

     

  2. I'm going to Jonny's now.

     



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date