Believe it or not, I've always liked Howard Stern. I used to tune into him occasionally when he was on regular radio (before jumping over to satellite a few years ago) because I thought he was irreverently funny and, surprisingly, one of the best interviewers in the business. I also dug both the book and movie versions of Private Parts. However, most of you, dear hyper-literate readers, probably recoil at the thought of him. I guess you're just not as butch as I am.

Anyway, Stern showed up on the David Letterman show last night and gleefully ripped into Jay Leno (approximately at the 4:00 mark in the first clip below), as well as chatted about a number of other entertaining topics. (By the way, if you didn't see Stern's classically uncomfortable 1995 appearance on the Jay Leno show, here's Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. These segments feature a lesbian kiss that the network scrambled to cut away from; Jay squirming in his seat; and Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert trying to talk over the screams of out-of-control audience members/Stern fans.)

Watch the new David Letterman clips:

For those of you who refuse to rally behind Stern, at least know that he's long been a proponent of gay rights. Here's a recent audio clip of him talking about same-sex marriage:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. quin browne Said,

    i liked stern's 'private parts'... the book and film, i know nothing about his actual junk....but, his show tended to make me sneer.

    interesting his take on jay..


  2. I never liked Jay either.


  3. I never watched Jay. So this is all new to me, but I've always loved Howard Stern. Does that make be butchy?


  4. amy.leblanc Said,

    these were awesome - thx for posting. i really miss listening to howard on the radio. i've always been a big fan. people say he's a pig but i always thought he gave every woman a chance on his show to be whoever she was. some of them happen to be stupid strippers. but the ones who weren't, they loved him.


  5. You're preaching to the choir, Brother.

    I became a Stern fan back when he was still married (the first time) and just doing local radio in NYC.

    And, yes, that does date me.

    F*ck it.


  6. By the way, I re-posted the Stern/Letterman clips (above) since YouTube pulled the original ones I posted.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date