It's Not What You Think

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Thursday, August 27, 2009
If you're like me, when you saw the commercials and print ads for Bandslam, you thought it was going to be a D-list High School Musical 4 and you were certain that you would never ever see that film in this or any other lifetime. In fact, if somebody said that you would either have to see Bandslam or die, you would probably choose death.

But then Deadline Hollywood Daily ran a fascinating expose about the film's horrible marketing campaign after the movie tanked its first weekend out of the gate. Here's a film that received an 89% approval rating from top critics on Rotten Tomatoes, that was being compared to the finest work of John Hughes and Cameron Crowe, that was hailed for its hip, edgy take on the teen genre, and that was directed by Todd Graff, who helmed the hilarious cult classic, Camp.

However, simply because HSM's Vanessa Hudgens was in it, the studio did try to sell it as D-list High School Musical 4, and it died.

I really really really want to see this movie now.

Read "Behind-The-Scenes Of Bandslam & Summit" for the whole juicy story.

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Actually thought this looked like a fun movie.

    I'll see it.


  2. LAP Said,

    Paulina loved it. I, didn't see it yet, but I think Paulina has excellent taste in froth.


  3. LAP Said,

    I was so surprised to see Band Slam at the discounted theaters (and after only 2 weeks) that I immediately had to go. It was really, really good. There was a fairly subtle visual joke that made me laugh so hard Paulina was embarrassed to be in the theater with me. We'll own it without a doubt.


  4. LAP, thanks for the report--but after one week it's only playing in one theater in all of Southern California in a town I've never heard of!!!!! Man, they really did screw up the marketing, didn't they?

    ...Superbadfriend, I'm gonna assume it's not playing in Chicago anymore either. :(


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date