Albums I'm Listening To

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, November 04, 2009
Since I'm notorious for not reading novels, people never ask me, "What're you reading?" (Don't they realize that I read tons of nonfiction?! Don't they know who I am?!) But I do get asked, "What're you listening to?" Well, I've got three albums in heavy rotation on my MP3 player right now. These are them:

Dead Man's Bones by Dead Man's Bones (2009). Did you know Ryan Gosling, who wowed me in Half Nelson and who I have declared my undying love for, started a rock band? Yeah, he could've turned out to be the ass of my jokes (I have a natural suspicion of actors-turned-musicians), but Dead Man's Bones is like the deformed lovechild of Oingo Boingo and a 50s doo-wop group, conceived on a Halloween night, with a children's choir and a bucket of blood thrown on top of it all for good measure. Don't know what that might sound like? Listen to the irresistibly catchy "Pa Pa Power" from their debut album, which was released last month, for a faint idea of what I'm talking about:

Raditude by Weezer (2009). Rivers Cuomo and crew continue to make dorky cool with their new party album. They've lost a lot of street cred because they've become so rich and famous, but why begrudge people who are having a damn good time and who want nothing more than for you to have a good time too? Surely you've heard the new album's fun lead track, "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To":

By the way, Raditude was available for download on Amazon for $3.99 the last time I checked.

The Magic of Boney M. by Boney M. (2006). Since Boney M. couldn't be downloaded from Rhapsody or Amazon or even iTunes, I had to order this greatest hits collection on CD through the mail. Where am I living?! Communist Russia in the 80s?! Anyway, I will never ever tire of Boney M.'s disco version of "Sunny." Never!:

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Will Said,

    What'd you think of Raditude?


  2. This is very much "new" Weezer rather than "old" Weezer, so I doubt you'd like it very much.


  3. Ashley Said,

    I saw Ryan Gosling play music in a cemetery. It was awesome.


  4. I'm sad I missed them in concert last week! Ha-rumph!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date