Is Having Two Dinners Indulgent?

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Prior to the USC Master of Professional Writing Student/Faculty Reading this past Friday, I had dinner with Kennedy Kabasares (by the way, his website is hilarious) at the crepe place in the Farmer's Market near The Grove in Los Angeles. I ordered a sandwich, but demanded that it be put on a croissant because, as you know, everything tastes better on a croissant. You could put staples on a croissant, and I'd eat it.

The presentation space on the third floor of the Barnes & Noble is right next to the children's section, so I'm glad I decided not to read my Levi Johnston fan fiction, which would've blasted out of the speakers and over to the kids' area like an unwelcome invasion of H1N1. Instead, I told the audience (it was packed, by the way!) one of my signature stories, "What My Sister's Breast Implants Have to Do With Golf"; I read a fictional monologue from an unfinished play, which I posted here last year); and I performed a short play titled ATM with Kennedy and Andrea Apuy, who was also a student reader at the event.

Everyone was in good spirits, the evening as a whole was fabulously organized, I felt like my performance skills were as sharp as ever, and it made me miss performing for audiences. Do you hear that, Brandon Patton, I miss performing! What are we going to do about it?!

Even though we had a full house, I thought we could double the size of the audience and whip them all into a Twilight-like frenzy if I pretended to be Dan Brown. Partway through my set, I spoke loudly into the microphone: "Attention, Barnes & Noble shoppers, Dan Brown, author of The Da Vinci Code, is on the third floor right now! Dan Brown will be reading from his new book, Robert Langdon and the Case of Picasso's Nuts!"

Someone told me afterward that they saw a few stray people wander into the area after I made the announcement. Suckers!

After the reading, Loren and Gabriel and I went to the French restaurant at The Grove, where I had pasta, my second dinner of the night. It was pretty good, but I should've asked them to put it on a croissant.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. louise Said,


    I SO wanted to be there, I'm a huge Dan Brown fan.



  2. I would choose Prince over Dan Brown any day.


  3. Anonymous Said,

    If you go to that one canjun place in the farmers market they have alligator. Chomp.


  4. Bring back Jukebox stories!


  5. Congratulations! :)


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date