"Fantastic Mr. Fox," Briefly

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Even though I've claimed that I will never join Twitter because "I don't want to turn into a douchebag," I sometimes see the benefits of it. I have occasionally had things to communicate but have simply been too busy or too lazy to write a blog post. And by the time I get around to it, the topic at hand has lost its sense of urgency. So, many posts have fallen through the cracks, and you, dear readers, have been denied some of my innermost thoughts and deepest secrets. (You thought my obsession with Levi Johnston was creepy...? If you only knew.)

Anyway, all this is to say, briefly (because I am now going to allow myself to be brief on my blog), I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox months ago (I'm awesome, remember?), and I loved it. I saw it again last week at the Westide Pavillion Landmark (you know it's a special day when I make it west past La Brea), and I am now doubly convinced that it is one of the most funny, tender, and joyous movies I've seen all year. And it's got some stunning images, terrific voice work (George Clooney! Meryl Streep!), and a rockin' soundtrack to boot.

I've never been a big Wes Anderson fan, but this new film of his is filled with stop-motion bravura and boasts a clever, adult-skewing script by Anderson and Noah Baumbach (one of my favorite filmmakers), based on the book by dark dark children's author Roald Dahl. (Kids dig the movie too—sometimes adults don't give them enough credit.)

I have a beautiful new book, The Making of Fantastic Mr. Fox, at home, and I can't wait to tear into it.

(You call that brief?!)

Okay, okay, all right, I am incapable of being Twitter-brief. So...some Fantastic Mr. Fox facts:

* It took over two years to make the movie.

* Everything in the film was made by hand—the characters, the costumes, the props, the set.

* The animators had to figure out precisely how to take a storyboard of about 125,000 individual photos and bring them to life.

* Every second of film required 24 shots.

* Just 30 seconds of footage took a full day to capture.

* During production, there were 29 film units going all at once.

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. I really loved the exchange between Mr. and Mrs. Fox after she finds him out. I got a little teary when she asks him why he lied to her and he responds, "because I'm a wild animal."


  2. My internet brain-crush on you waxed when you said you loved this movie, and waned when you said you didn't love Wes Anderson. I think that puts you back at normal, so I'll tear up the love/hate mails I composed on this napkin.


  3. Ashley, I have to admit that I got a bit misty-eyed too, the part where Mrs. Fox was having her breakdown. That Meryl Streep can do anything!

    Smartlikeatruck, oh, ye, of little faith! Haven't you figured out by now that I am an indecipherable enigma?!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date