My Mommy Took Me to the Movies

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I knew I couldn't go to a matinee showing of The Princess and the Frog by myself without seeming like I was either developmentally disabled or a candy-offering pervert, so I recruited my mother to be my movie-going companion a few weeks ago. While I would certainly revel in the hand-drawn Disney animation and the handful of Randy Newman songs (his 1988 album, Land of Dreams, is one of my all time favorites, and his score for 1990's Avalon is exquisite), I knew my mom would dig the story of a black princess with a simple dream of opening up her own restaurant in 1920s New Orleans. My mother, if you recall, has been waiting tables all her life and currently manages a small cafe on the lot of a car dealership. (And, by the way, her food-service career is all my fault—she had to drop out of school when she was pregnant with me, I am reminded time and time again. Asian Mother Guilt—you gotta love it.)

Tickled to the point embarrassment by my desire to see The Princess and the Frog, my mom spent most of the afternoon speaking to me in baby talk. "Son, do you have to go to the bathroom before the movie starts?" "Son, do you need a napkin to wipe your mouth after eating your popcorn?" "Son, do you like it when mommy takes you to the movies?"

Anyway, The Princess and the Frog (perhaps a corrective measure to Disney's controversial—racist?—Song of the South, which has never been released on video or DVD due to said controversy) is a lot of fun, features great voice work by Dreamgirls' Anika Noni Rose (who wowed me when she was doing theater in San Francisco years ago, particularly in Athol Fugard's Valley Song), and a Dixieland-inspired collection of terrific songs by Randy Newman.

Listen to "Down in New Orleans," performed with verve by the one-and-only Dr. John, after a prologue by Rose:

By the way, I'm not naive to the fact that things like race relations and segregation are kind of swept under the rug in The Princess and the Frog, but, c'mon, people, it's a kids' movie.... At least that's what my mommy tells me.

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. John Said,

    My mother has done the same thing and asked me if I had to go to the bathroom before a movie. Although, these days, having to step out to take a leak during a movie isn't because of a small bladder but because of old man's prostate. Sigh.


  2. Solia Said,

    I am in LOVE with this movie. And i know one of the guys that got to originate the character at disneyland. so much fun. I played mommy and took my cousins to see it just so i could watch it again. haha.

    now if only they made a mexican disney princess.....


  3. Commenter #2 wants a Chinese Disney Princess first. :)


  4. Solia Said,

    hello? Mulan. Duh.


  5. Oh my god, I can't believe I totally forgot Mulan! I love that movie!


  6. Louise Said,

    I can't believe I haven't seen this yet, but my mother (born and raised in New Orleans) took my girls to see it over Christmas.

    She's been a Randy Newman fan back since the 70's back when nobody had even heard of him,.

    Needless to say, given that the film was about two of her passions I expect her to come out raving about the film, but when I asked her what she thought of the movie all she said was, "It was so loud."

    My kids loved it, though. I hear the soundtrack is great.


  7. Erica Lynn Said,

    I went to Disneyland for my birthday back in November and I played the birthday card on the cast members "randomly selecting" people so I got to participate in the riverboat portion of the parade. We got to lean out of the windows waving props and belting out the chorus for "Down in New Orleans." It was so much fun and the song was stuck in my head for weeks. I saw the movie when it came out and it did not disappoint. I'm a sucker for musicals though.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date