Date Morning for "Date Night"

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Monday, April 12, 2010
My mom likes going to the movies early in the morning on weekends, so yesterday we caught the 10:30 a.m. showing of Date Night. Who the hell goes to a movie at 10:30?!

At least I was able to sneak in a Starbucks croissant (thanks, Starbucks gift card!) to stave off my morning grumpiness. (Seriously, like I try not to talk to anyone on any given day until like 2 p.m.)

Anyway, in terms of movies about running around New York City on a madcap caper of mistaken identity, nothing beats After Hours (1985), the twisty and delirious comedy written by Joseph Minion, directed by Martin Scorsese, shot (with breathless glee) by Michael Ballhaus, and starring (a frantic) Griffin Dunne. You can "Mean Streets" and "Goodfellas" me all you want, but After Hours remains to this day my favorite Scorsese film.

The new running-around-New-York-City-on-a-madcap-caper-of-mistaken-identity comedy that just opened this past weekend, Date Night, doesn't come close to reaching the sublime and sometimes inexplicable pleasures of After Hours (Date Night's plot chugs along on a path with few surprises), but it does boast the inspired (but I can't believe it took this long to happen) pairing of Steve Carell and Tina Fey, comic geniuses, both of them. They make the movie a consistently funny joyride. I swear, put either of these two in anything, and I will laugh, guaranteed (Evan Almighty notwithstanding).

Some added bonuses: great supporting work by James Franco, Mila Kunis, and Mark Wahlberg, who manages to keep his shirt off throughout the entire picture (a point that is the source of much comic mileage).

Mom and I had fun. And if you don't, you're grumpier in the morning than I am.

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Cheryl Said,

    I thought they made a great couple. The movie does a good job of toeing the wackiness/sincerity line without being yet another Judd Apatow clone.


  2. Howard Ho Said,

    That trailer was totally different from what I thought it was going to be from the poster. Bad marketing!


  3. On my short list of my current must sees.


  4. These two have great, great comic chemistry!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date