You don't know how much it's been killing me inside not to be able to tell you what I've known for weeks and weeks now—which goes to show you that I can keep a secret regardless of the physical pain that it causes me. (So, if there are any closeted homosexual males out there who would like to come over to my house so that I can "teach them a few things," then please do so with the knowledge that I won't tell anyone!)

East West Players, the nation's leading Asian-American theater company, will be kicking off its 45th anniversary 2010-2011 season with the Los Angeles premiere of my play, Mysterious Skin, based on the novel by my dear friend Scott Heim. (Click the pictures to enlarge the season brochure.)

Yup, the way that some theaters have re-imagined classic plays by casting ethnic actors (with a "why the hell can't a black dude play Romeo?" kind of attitude), Mysterious Skin will be produced on EWP's lovely stage with an Asian-American twist.

This will be my first full play production in Los Angeles in ten years (following Big Hunk o' Burnin' Love in 1998 and The Theory of Everything in 2000, which both premiered at East West Players)! Yup, I am so excited that I crapped my pants!

But wait! That's not all! There's more good news!

The third play of the season is Wrinkles by Paul Kikuchi. Paul is a longtime student of mine in the David Henry Hwang Writers Institute. His first piece, Ixnay, which was developed during the course of a couple of my classes, premiered at EWP in 2009, and this new comedy is being developed in my new class, currently in progress.

I told Paul last night, "We have to start taking your play seriously now! No more fucking around!"

Hey, I get results, don't I?
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Howard Ho Said,

    Congrats, Prince!


  2. Cheryl Said,

    Congrats! Keep us posted on when it goes up. In the meantime, good luck with the pants cleanup.


  3. Well, I know what I'm doing in September!


  4. Peter Varvel Said,

    This is exciting! I can't wait to see it.


  5. Jess Said,

    YAY! Congrats, Prince! I want to come to LA just to watch your play. Let us know the deets. xo



    You go, Prince! I was waiting for you to finally share your mystery news with us! YAY!!!!!

    This is HUGE!

    We'll be buying our tix as soon as they go on sale.

    So happy for you!!!!

    (And so happy for your student/fellow playwright, too!)

    You guys, rock.


  7. Dave Barton Said,

    Looking forward to EWP's take on the play, Prince!


  8. Thanks, everyone! I cannot express how excited (and titillated) I am!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date