How Do Musicians Earn Money From Their Music?

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Thursday, April 22, 2010
The following chart is a fascinating breakdown of how music artists earn money from their songs and albums. The numbers and percentages might surprise you (click pic to enlarge):

[Thanks to Isaac Butler at Parabasis.]
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Howard Ho Said,

    Looks like CD Baby is the way to go...provided you have 155 friends who have ten bucks to blow every month.


  2. As a Rhapsody subscriber this is a little upsetting. I guess I should just make a habit of PayPal-ing $10 to artists whose music I like.


  3. Ashley Said,

    Wow. While it doesn't seem that difficult for big name artists (Lady Gaga, anyone?) I can see how a lot of musicians struggle when they start out. Entertainment is a hard scene to break into.


  4. Jess Said,


    I agree with Donovan! Great idea, and I'm gonna buy directly from the artist from now on when possible. Thanks Prince for sharing this.


  5. I'm a Rhapsody subscriber too! Look at how many people I'm screwing! Yay!


  6. Cheryl Said,

    One lesson here seems to be that Amazon sucks. But that's the moral of every story.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date