Because of my magical moderating skills (do you realize what an art moderating is?!), I was asked to lead a panel of Asian Americans in the media that took place a couple weeks ago at the APA-UCLA 2010 Scholarship Awards Reception. On the panel were Ted Chen (NBC news anchor!), Tzi Ma (the face of "the Chinese" on 24!), and Tamlyn Tomita (too many movies and TV shows to list!), three powerhouses in the Asian-American community who were all funny, insightful, and taller than I.

The fact that I teach at USC (UCLA's biggest rival school, for those of you who don't know) was smartly kept under the radar. I felt like I was part of a grand conspiracy, especially when one of the event hosts flat-out refused to say "USC" when introducing me. I believe she used a dirty euphemism like "another school that we won't mention."

Anyway, at the end of our panel, we all received generous gift bags that contained a UCLA T-shirt and baseball cap. Now I'm not one to not be appreciative and I know how gauche it is to re-gift merchandise, especially on a blog, but I think the event people are able to understand that I simply cannot have this stuff in my apartment. The merchandise will inevitably burst into flames and burn my home down. (You don't want that to happen, do you, event people?!) Believe me, it will happen if I don't get rid of these valuable (to you) items! So....

Here's yet another thrilling Bamboo Nation contest!

THE PRIZE: A brand-new, medium-sized UCLA Bruins T-shirt (though it looks large to me) and a brand-new, small/medium Bruins baseball cap, both made by Adidas.

THE RULES: Leave a comment—any comment—by Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:59 p.m. If you don't have an ID you can sign in with, you can comment anonymously and leave your name or your initials; when I announce the winner, you'll know if you won and all you have to do is e-mail me to claim your prize. One winner will be chosen at random. Anyone in the world may enter. (Even you, Romanians!)
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. wjackalope Said,

    I know some UCLA alumni, so sure, sign me up!


  2. PKuo Said,

    I find this contest to be in direct support of campus rivalry. Don't you see that UCLA and USC are blatantly denouncing each other and inevitably oppressing each other thus building strong bonds of community through their being oppressed and common oppressing of each other?!?

    As a firm believe of University Love and squashing the competitive spirit, I'm in full support of starting a protest against this contest...hell ANY contest! All contest do is spur envy, jealously and unsportsmanlike like conduct!

    Contests are a hot bed for negative reactionary emotions. Exciting fanatics to look beyond the so called "healthy" acts of competition that help develop creatively, ingenuity and a third word that describes using your imagination that ends with the letter "y." Rather, focusing on the self-destructive primal aggression contest excite that will eventually lead to the demise of society and the world!

    I would be horrifically disgusted if this comment were be selected as a winner for this so called "contest."

    (However...if it is, can the shirt be exchanged for like an X-Large? Just curious.)

    To join protest cause to ban all contest, click the link that I unfortunately forgot to include below:


  3. Peter, aren't you supposed to be busy designing a new website?


  4. FeO Said,

    go bruins!


  5. Peter J Kuo Said,

    ...It's already been built, it's called



  6. Peter, learn from Feo.


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date