[Albums in Rotation] "American Slang" by The Gaslight Anthem

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Monday, July 05, 2010
After a seemingly long musical drought in my life, the past several weeks have finally showered me with new music that I really dig—so I thought I'd blog this week about recent albums that are in heavy rotation on my computer and in my car. Maybe you'll be inspired to set aside the Bjork scream singles and try something new.

The Gaslight Anthem's solid American Slang is New Jersey punk infused with heartland rock 'n' roll. There's not a single loser in the album's ten songs, but it's the title track that really kicks ass. It makes me want to mosh even though, as you know, if I were to ever mosh, I WOULD DIE. But I digress. Listen:


[The Gaslight Anthem [American Slang]]

Here are the lyrics:

Look what you started
I seem to be coming out of my skin
And look what you've forgotten here
The bandages just don't keep me in
And when it was over, I woke up alone
And when it was over, I woke up alone

And they cut me to ribbons and told me to drive
I got your name tattooed inside of my arm
I called for my father, but my father had died
While you told me fortunes in American slang

And look at the damage
The fortunes came for the richer men
While we we're left with gallows
Just waiting for us liars to come down and hang
And when it was over, I woke up alone
And when it was over, I woke up alone

And they cut me to ribbons and told me to drive
I got your name tattooed inside of my arm
I called for my father, but my father had died
While you told me fortunes in American slang

And here's where we died that time last year
And where the angels and devils meet
And you can dance with the queen if you need
And she will always keep your cards close to her heart
Oh so close to her heart before they tear you apart

And they cut me to ribbons and told me to drive
I got your name tattooed inside of my arm
I called for my father, but my father had died
And we called for our fathers, but our fathers had died
And you told us fortunes in American slang
Oh you told us fortunes in American slang
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!

MORE BAMBOO NATION POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY:

0 Comments



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date