"Salt": Angelina Jolie Can Kick My Ass

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Monday, July 26, 2010
After my cryptic dismissal of the widely lauded InDORKtion, I know it's going to take some time to earn back my critical street cred. And offering even faint praise to Angelina Jolie's new action film is not going to return me to people's good graces any faster. But, hey, I know what gives me a boner, and I know what doesn't. (Don't you wish you were filled with that much self-knowledge?)

Not since James McAvoy took assassination orders from a magical loom and blew up a factory using bomb-strapped rats in Wanted has a movie been as preposterously entertaining as Salt. A film with lingering logic problems; old school, Cold War, Mother Russia, nuclear paranoia; and a scene where Angelina Jolie parkours down an elevator shaft should not be as fun and engaging as Salt is—but, goddamn, it is.

I'm not going to recount the plot for you because they already gave everything away in the trailer. (Well, actually, I thought they did, but Salt has plenty of unexpected twists, turns, and delightful surprises.)

While the movie bullet-trains its way from one over-the-top action sequence to another (courtesy of director Phillip Noyce's deft touch and Kurt Wimmer's tight screenplay), it's not exhausting like, say, Transformers 2, is. Salt knows how to deliver the goods and move on. Not only that, it boasts a trio of solid, convincing performances from Jolie; my favorite actor, Liev Schreiber; and the man who defines gravitas, Chiwetel Ejiofor.

And, yup, I'm going to say it: Salt is sweet. Don't argue with me, or I'll go all Angelina Jolie on your ass.

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date