Five Thai Commercials That Will Make You Cry Like a Baby Who's Just Emerged from the Womb

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Friday, September 20, 2013

For some reason, acts of kindnessparticularly acts of givingmove me deeply. That's why on any given night you might find me on my couch watching Secret Millionaire and weepingabsolutely weepinginto my green Ikea Polarvide Blanket. This reality show, in which rich people go undercover in struggling neighborhoods and pretend to be poor for a week, makes me feel a bit icky insidebut I can't help but have an emotional breakdown when the secret millionaires reveal their true identities at the end of each episode and start giving away money.

This is probably why the following Thai commercial made me cry. A Thai commercial, I might add, for a goddamn telecommunications company. But wait! I'm not the only one! Apparently, this three-minute video, which is based on the Thai urban legend of Dr. Prajak Arunthong, has gone viral, and it's making people all over the world sob! I've long wondered how I would ever melt your heart of coal. And now I have a solution. Watch this!:

I know, I know! Do you need a hug? Okay. Don't go away yet. I want to show you a four-minute shampoo commercial. Yes, you read that correctly. A four-minute shampoo commercial. In it, a deaf-mute girl gets bullied, plays the crap out of a violin, and has great hair. Trust me on this one:

Get out some more tissues because this post isn't over yet. The Thai commercials that most regularly deliver the goods when it comes to unabashed emotional manipulation are the ones for life insurance. And they're typically directed by Thanonchai Sornsriwichai, who's cornered the market on tear-jerking ads about fathers and their offspring. They make you feel guilty if you haven't called your dad lately. Did I mention these are life-insurance commercials? Here's one about a father and son:

And here's another one directed by Thanonchai Sornsriwichai, this time about a father and daughter:

Wait a minute! I know you can't take it anymore, but I'm not done! You can make it through one more, can't you?! Just one more! This post would not be complete without a commercial that features a chorus of disabled Thai children singing "Que Sera Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)." Yes, I'm serious. Yes, you will cry. Again:

I don't know about you, but I am wrecked. I'm going to the corner of my room to hold myself now.
Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. Nehru jacket Said,

    It was worth to me, thanks author for taking out some of your precious time and sharing your thoughts on this topic.


  2. manohar Said,

    nice collection dude


  3. caesar Said,

    very touching


  4. Pinaki Said,

    Worth to watch these videos and to share the same.


  5. farlang dam Said,

    Excellent motivational videos for youngster in this generation. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    Bas from Malaysia


  6. You Make My Cry,Very Good Video

    Best Regard

    M Fadly R

    Magetan , Jawa Timur , Indonesia


  7. Karina Said,

    Here's a non-private link to the shampoo commercial:


  8. needssleep Said,

    Thank you so much for sharing! You're right. I pretty much bawled my eyes out and now I proceed to crawl into a corner of my room and continue to cry


  9. Thanks for your comments, everyone!

    And thanks, Karina, for the video link. I've updated it on my post.


  10. princeAKAD Said,

    good and lovely compilations my friend... i sure did cry alot for a man.... here's the link of the dandruff advert



  11. Apoorva Said,

    really very motivational video thank u :) regards from india


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date