Things I Read

Posted by Prince Gomolvilas
ON Monday, November 17, 2008
The gays and the Asians have formed an alliance, and together the will vote bigots off the island! Read "Gay-Asian Alliances Not as Unlikely as Some Think."

If you work in theater, then this item is probably old news. But if you're outside the industry, you might be interested in the strange saga of Scott Eckern, Artistic Director of Sacramento Musical Theatre. When his support of Proposition 8 (which banned gay marriage) became public, he came under fire by many in the theater community and eventually resigned. Read "Prop. 8 Becomes Theatrical." Did things unfold as they should have? A contrarian view can be read here: "Exit Stage Right." [Thanks to Isaac Butler at Parabasis for posting the latter link.]

A perceptive reader pointed out in the comments section that my post, "Boy Band Gets Gayer; or: How Is It That My Dreams Keep Coming True?!," contained a somewhat egregious error. Boyzone hails from Ireland and not the UK. Due to my American naivete, I incorrectly thought that Ireland is a part of the UK. The reader clarifies my misunderstanding:
For 800 years the British did indeed colonise the entire island, and it is pretty stomach-churning to see anything Irish referred to as British. The Republic of Ireland (from whence Boyzone hail) has been an independent nation for nearly 90 years; Northern Ireland accounts for about a fifth of the island of Ireland and is still part of the UK.
Learning is good.

Thanks for visiting Bamboo Nation! Want to stay connected? Subscribe to this blog via RSS or e-mail. Or join my private e-mail list for event alerts. Or do both of those things. Because if you do, you win the Internet!



  1. narrioch Said,

    Oops - yes, that is a biggy! But to be fair on you, it is a difficult situation to understand. I am British, but have good friends from both Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland - and I still don't get all the intricacies. Although my RoI friends would definitely bite my head off if I confused the south with anything British, which I'd never do! But then again, some of my Northern Irish friends don't want to define as British, and would consider themselves 'Northern' Irish, to reflect that the north also has its own culture and heritage distinct from both the Republic of Ireland and Britain. We can all keep learning!


  2. So has Northern Ireland tried to break away from the UK then? And aren't other folks also trying to secede?


  3. narrioch Said,

    Tricky one again, Prince! I'm no expert but there are people in NI who want to remain under UK rule, and those who want union with the Republic of Ireland (south). I don't think NI itself has tried to break away from the UK, more like splintered groups within it. I think on the NI passport it reads 'Great Britain and NI' but as a northern irish person you could also get a Republic of Ireland passport. The government of NI - Stormont - is linked to the UK, but then you have to account for the feelings of the different populations within NI, and these go back hundreds of years. There is also the element of religion, although I'm not sure how relevant that is these days (generally South=Catholic, North=Protestant), it's more like it's used as a romaniticised reason for divide/split but these days the political and economic reasons are stronger. I think it's a really interesting matter, still relevant today despite many years of turmoil because an agreement to suit both sides hasn't been found. Watch Loach's 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' for a period piece depicting the Irish (south) struggle in the early 20th C. Or maybe your original commentator can come back, as it wasn't my friend after all. Long comment, sorry!


  4. Thanks again for the insight! I am now smarter because of it!


Blog Archive by Topic

Blog Archive by Date